• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Caramel Macchiato "Mac"

Mackie

This is our new baby. He is named Caramel Macchiato but we call him "Mac" or baby Mackie. My kids LOVE love LOVE him. He is a rescue pup from an Amish puppymill. He was getting ready to be sent to auction when a nearby rescue snagged him up. I found him on petfinder.com. So far our little Mac looks very healthy. I was a bit concerned about al that he could experiance in his life but know that we are dedicated to his health forever no matter what. Plus, he needed us! We are so blessed by his wonderful personality! gentle, kind, and oh so fun! What a blessing.

003.jpg

We also have a 9 year old maltese pup named THeo. Mac is a bit active for THeo's taste but I am sure that they will get on fine after Theo realizes Mac is here for good.

221.jpg

Mac is 11 weeks old. DOing great with potty training. I do have a few questions though:

1. Since Mac was rescued from a less than desireable situation, he has not been socialized like the home raised pups. Is there anything I need to know? He is getting plenty of "hug therapy" by my kids (7 & 5). He still seems a bit shy at times.
2. Chewing. He gets rowdy and nips my hands and barks and growls. WHat should I say or do when this happens? It has been a while since we have gone through the puppy stage and I don't remember my THeo doing this to the degree Mac is. I always offer him a chew stick or toy but I have to admit- it hurts! I would like to resolve this behavior quickly. Any thoughts?

I am new here and so I appreciate any and all help. Thanks for having me!

I'd give him lots of love and praise to build his confidence. In time he will come to you and feel confident.

If he is chewing things that are a not allowed give him a treat for as a trade and tell him to drop it, the item you don't want him to chew.

If he nips at you say 'Ouch' firm and clearly and gently move or push away from him.

Much of his understanding and confidence will come with consistent and repetitive training.

Good luck! Mackie is already a handsome little fur baby.:flwr:

1. Since Mac was rescued from a less than desireable situation, he has not been socialized like the home raised pups. Is there anything I need to know? He is getting plenty of "hug therapy" by my kids (7 & 5). He still seems a bit shy at times.

2. Chewing. He gets rowdy and nips my hands and barks and growls. WHat should I say or do when this happens? It has been a while since we have gone through the puppy stage and I don't remember my THeo doing this to the degree Mac is. I always offer him a chew stick or toy but I have to admit- it hurts! I would like to resolve this behavior quickly. Any thoughts?

I am new here and so I appreciate any and all help. Thanks for having me!

1. Just make sure he gets to visit as many dogs and humans as possible in a calm setting. It will allow for him to gradually get used to the idea of being around others.

2. Yelp at his actions, but also let him know who's boss. If he gets really bad many trainers and vets have recommended that you pinch the ear because the mother would bite the ear as disicipline. I'm not sure if this is the best idea, but a vet or trainer would know better than me.

Just keep at it and don't give up. Talk to your vet and talk to your trainer for help. Cavaliers are loving and affectionate dogs and want nothing more than to please you, but make sure they remember that you are in charge.

What a cutie-pie.....I am so glad you are in his life. He is young, so he still has lots of time to learn he is loved, gain confidence and learn obedience. I would definitely get him into obedience classes as soon as you feel you are both ready. When he bites you, yelp and pull away your hand quickly, so that he knows he has hurt you. That worked for my pup when she was little. If you can find a clicker training class, I would highly recommend it. Good luck and keep us posted. You will find a ton of wonderful information on this site from experts. I am not an expert, but I did learn so much when I got my first cavalier. Judy

Thank you all for the warm welcome and great ideas! I fell in love with Cavaliers and I love that everyone who owns one is soooo in love with them too. I have noticed that there is a different kind of love for this breed as I was researching the best breed for our family. I knew I wanted to be a part of that family. I see now why these pups are addicting! If I had more space I would love to have more!
I can see myself spending a lot of time on this board. I can't wait to get to know all of you and your fur babies as well!
Mackie (and his mom)

mackie is so cute! bless! Ruby was an ex puppy farm girl but i didnt find her till she was 4years old, very slowly her confidence has come on & now shes a different dog. i think routine & masses of love help them feel secure, & with Mac being so young he'll soon forget he was ever antwhere else. i agree with all other replies about pulling your hand away with a big ouch,he'll get the point!

THank you all for the warm welcome! I am currently following the "ouch" method (and it is working to some extent). I look forward to getting to know all of you here!

just another thought i had about confidence! try not to make a fuss if Mackie is scared by something like if youre out & he gets scared by an empty carrier bag blowing along, just confidently carry on walking. i read that otherwise you are agreeing there is something to be scared of so it can get worse. i did this with Rubes its hard sometimes as i wanted to pick her up & fuss her but it has helped not to. i would just say in a breezy way "its ok" or "come on silly sausage" whilst i kept walking. look forward to your updates:)

what an adorable little boy! I'd not worry about the shyness. Carry on without cuddling him when he acts shy about things he shouldn't. You don't want to seem to reward shy behavior. Lizzie is a bit shy (and she came from a reputable breeder). I make sure I praise her when she overcomes her fears and approaches things that scare her. Otherwise, I say nothing when she is hesitant.
As far as the biting, that is so normal. Some dogs take longer than others to stop that behavior. Bandit took about 5 months! And he bit HARD! I would yelp loud, pull away and stop playing with him until he calmed down some. It took a while. I also kept a toy close by and when he ran up excitedly looking to bite and play, I would put the toy out for him to bite instead of me. In time it worked. I also used the command "no biting" and he got to where he would stop biting whatever it was he was biting when I'd say it. Be patient and consistent.

I absolutely do not advocate punishing him. These dogs are very sensitive and you will do far more harm than good. Encourage the behavior you want with positive reinforcement and discourage the behavior you don't want by removing the opportunity and by making sure you aren't somehow rewarding the "bad" behavior.

Enjoy him! They grow up SO fast!

Back