• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to introduce my 2 beautiful cavaliers to the new baby

CKC2008

Hi guys

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section (sorry if I'm not)

Basically I'm due to have my baby at the end of May and I'm just wondering how I can introduce my dogs to the baby. My vet told me to get them used to baby sounds and smells and so far they are fine and are really good with other peoples children - this, however, is my first baby so I want to do this properly and not put my dogs noses out of joint so to speak.

Does anyone have have tips to make the first meeting with the baby go smoothly?

Thanks!!!:dogwlk:

Congratulations - I am expecting in July and also have 2 cavs. Our vet encouraged us to let the dogs spend time in the baby's room with us. He said to make sure they know that this room is now going to a more active part of the house. 2 other things he mentioned were (1) to bring home a blanket that the baby's scent is on while we are still in the hospital so as to get the pups used to the smell and (2) to have the dogs at home when we arrive home with the baby not the other way around so that the baby is brought into the house with them already there.

I know that Karlin has a lot on this in the Library section! Good Luck and keep us posted!

(1) to bring home a blanket that the baby's scent is on while we are still in the hospital so as to get the pups used to the smell and (2) to have the dogs at home when we arrive home with the baby not the other way around so that the baby is brought into the house with them already there.

Same as my advice!

I was watching Cesar Milan on TV showing how to introduce dogs to the new baby as my Son's partner is expecting a baby in July.

He says that it is important to make sure that the dogs know that the baby is one of the pack leaders. He didn't let the dogs anywhere near the babies for two weeks and the babies room was definately a no go area. One of the reasons being that the dog may try to 'help' if the baby is crying and of course they only have their mouths to use.

The dogs may not intentionally hurt the baby, indeed with Cavs it is more likely to be the exact opposite. The dogs have to learn only to approach the baby when invited to do so, all makes sense to me. Someone also suggested getting a doll before hand and teach the dogs that when you are busy with the doll they have to keep their distance.

Good luck :dogwlk:

We didn't have a cavalier when we brought our babies home. I sent home a sock that had been on the baby with my husband. I made sure that my husband carried the baby in, so that my hands were free to greet our yorkie.

We laid the baby in the crib and we did let our yorkie in the nursery. She followed me every where. We never left baby and dog unattended.

I have a video of my oldest daughter laying in her crib the first day and our yorkie standing up on two legs going all around the crib trying to get a peek of the new addition.

Watch out for weight gain in the dogs. Eventually, they learn they can throw food over the high chair and the dogs learn that cheerios and peperidge farm fish crackers are good snacks for them too!

Back