Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: im 99% sure

Post Thanks / Like

Default im 99% sure

My Ruby scratches ever such a lot, i always thought she did but since ive been on here & watched the videos/read other peoples posts with mounting panic ive made an appointment at the vets for tomorrow. ive tried to be an ostrich about it for a few weeks& as you know we've been dealing with her eyes for awhile. she definatly "bunny hops", if she gets excited to see another dog or someone she loves she goes into scratchy overload. i have been heartened to read here that the drugs do help& trying to be positive but in the last week when she has jumped off the chair (for example)she's sort of groaned as shes landed& over the weekend when we were on our walks,well she always lies down to give tummy anyway but when i stopped doing tummy& said come on then she's started rolling around/wiggling with her head tipped back so it looks like she's mainly rubbing her head. she hasnt done this before
    the last straw was this mornings walk when she seemed not to be able to walk for scratching so i carried her home.
    im sorry this is such a long post but im scared. i need to be strong for her to get the best treatment but instead im falling apart& cant stop crying. she's my world. please can someone fetch a grown up!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't get overly worried as you don't yet know what might be causing this. There's a whole list of things you will want to check if you haven't had your vet do so yet. On www.smcavalier.com I have a few things you can print out for your vet and also a section called 'Is this SM' that lists the various things you will want to have checked first. At the same time be sure your vet doesn't dismiss your concerns, as lack of awareness of the condition among vets is the main reason why many dogs take such a long time to get a correct diagnosis.

It is hard not knowing what is going on but important to take things one step at a time and learn as much as you can so that you have thought through what options might be best for you if you reach the point where you need to make decisions on treatments.

There are lots of people here experienced with different approaches to care for an SM dog so you will have plenty of advice and support if it turns out that you get an SM diagnosis. But wait to see how things go.

I'd be sure to print out Dr Rusbridge's treatment diagram so that your vet might consider prescribing something to see if her scratching could be eased.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin thank you. i needed a voice of reason! So my list of points to take to the vets is ready& ive printed off those pieces to take. having read them im more convinced than ever but who knows Ruby might be lucky of course my computer chose tonight to play up telling me no paper loaded/no ink/cant display podcast etc LOL! its a shame i dont drink- i could really use a glass of wine! cuppa tea will have to do! again thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tupup: I was where you are now just a very short time ago. Just wanted to say the waiting is the worst part I think. Please let us all know what your vet says. As you know there are alot of us on here that have/are going through it no matter what your results are. I sure hope you are wrong. Hugs to you.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keeping my fingers crossed that there is another reason for the symptoms.

I hope the cup of tea helped.

Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like

The vet said-he's not able to tell without an mri scan, which would be away & cost about £1000. she "could" have sm, its certainly possible. he wanted to give her a steroid injection but thought that might clash with the steroid drops she's already on 4times a day for her eyes. he didnt know about garbapentin so has put her on a diretic, frusdale twice a day, ive to ring in a week to say if its helped with her scratching.i asked if that would give her pain releif & he said it would. So what do you all think? i left the vets treatment diagram with him..Gx

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would at least go to a neurologist. I said this to hubby last night as we were discussing our Abbey and Winston. A vet is like a human gp. Would you go to your gp if you thought you had neurological problems? I bet your answer is a big no. If money is a consideration for the mri etc. as least a neurologist has the knowledge of sm etc. Thats my 2 cents. If I could turn back the clock to 5 years ago when Abbey had her first seizure--I would go to a neurologist in a heartbeat. Even in regards to allergies which I'm dealing with I'd go to a dermatologist etc. Again MY belief is a vet just doesn't have the knowledge except for the simple stuff. Just my personal opinion.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Linderbelle on this one. Neurologists can tell a lot just by their exam that a regular vet cannot. Although not even a neurologist can diagnose SM definitively without an MRI. And you need to rule out allergies and other things first before taking that big step. Also like Linderbelle, if I could turn back the clock several years to when Riley first began experiencing serious imbalance problems, I would have gone to a neurologist right away rather than wasting time and letting her syrinxes get larger and doing more damage. He took one look at her during his exam and said he was pretty sure she had SM, which was the first time I had ever heard of it. I hadn't found this site yet. Good luck to you. Let us know how the meds work out.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your opinions on this, its a time of feeling a bit lost so your pointers are much appreciated. Do any of you know where the nearest MRI/neurologist might be to me from north yorkshire? have your insurance companies covered the mri cost? is it really going to be £1000or is my vet trying to put me off do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Im so sorry you're going through this. Leo had an MRI last month because the vet and the neurologist thought he had SM. We were one of the lucky ones as it wasnt
    My insurance did cover all the neurologists tests and the MRI, as long as the vet put in a covering letter they paid up no quibble.

Good luck, everyone here will give 100% support, I really feel for you as I shed so many tears fearing the worst for my little guy.

Mel