• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

im 99% sure

I'd try situations which don't set it off. Like Jen said excitably does it. I know announcing we were going for a ride in the car would for sure set it off. Thats an example. Like we said if she's scratching that much she is definitely very uncomfortable. If your vet isn't helping I'd find another vet. Hang in there hun. Its hard I know.

Last edited:
i know what you mean-me putting on my jacket always gets her scratching.
our vet has been very good in the past, he even rang between apps when her eyes were at their worst but..i rung today as arranged & said the diuretics made no difference to her scratching& he said he wasnt surprised (why did we have them then?) i asked if he'd sorted a neurologist & he said what for?Are you planning to mri? so i said a consultation to get her pain meds at least, an he says oh id question if shes in any pain the scratching is only sensations:shock:
to cut this down, we then went in for her to be given a steroid injection as he had checked it would be ok along side her eye drops, this should make a difference in 24/48hrs & should also help her "discomfort" for a few weeks, then to ring again next week with an update. he said this was going to the bottom of the treatment chart id printed for him. he says this is what he does with other sm dogs but last year the day after P.D.Ex prog he told me he's never had a case in 20some years.:confused:
if this injection works for rubes it would indicate its sm but not definate.i went on about neurologist but im jumping the gun apparently
on a more positive note she only scratched twice on the walk home! after our lunch walk when she refused to go further than the end of the street so i have been taking her carry bag out with us.
i know i need to seriously consider changing vets, the big problem with that is its 5mins from our home & work(where i take her every day with me) i dont drive & i know i can run there with her in my arms in an emergency like i did when she was bleeding with colitis.
Should i see how the injection works before any decisions? thank you for taking time to read this very long post in advance Gx

Ok sounds like you are saying that you really hate to change vets. If you want to get her mri'd or just go to a neurologist then I think you need to voice that to your vet. Just come out and say thats what you want and give me your referral. Steroids help on the allergy scene too so I wouldn't think that would be a firm deal on saying whether its sm or not. Steroids sure did mask it for Abbey but then as you know we're dealing with both deals. I know I changed vets for various reasons and the first time I went to my new one I was there in tears with all the paperwork and just saying I want to know and have her mri'd and this is where I want to go and he didn't question it at all. Got on the phone and got me in.

Maybe vets are different in different parts of the world but I can't imagine if you'd say that you wanted to go and the referral that your present vet wouldn't oblige. No sweat off his nose lets say. You're the one paying the bill or ins etc.

As you know the only way to find out for sure on sm is by mri.

Last edited:
I agree with Linda, I did the same thing. My vet told me I was hysterical and obsessive even after I printed out information on SM for her. I couldn't find a neurologist here so I e-mailed Penny Knowler who sent me the name of a neurologist. I called his office and told them I didn't care about the referral - I had an unpleasant vet and a canine health emergency and to book the MRI.

Ironically after she was diagnosed I found a lovely vet / acupuncturist who is very knowledgeable about SM so she is now our regular vet. She is far from home but as we go every 10 days for acupuncture anyway she can take care of anything but emergencies. I never told off our last vet in case we need her ASAP!!

So I'd call the neurologist myself and explain what is happening and I'd bet they'd see you - or could at least recommend another vet who can make the referral. It's sad but true but after I explained the symptoms to the neurologist and told them I had a cavalier they made me an appointment right away.

Jen and Ilsa

thanks linderbelle, im being a bit wussy about putting my foot down arnt i! i will change vets if i really need to its the emergency times im most worried by, having no transport but i'll start asking around for recommendations of any other vets as im thinking i could go somewhere just to get a 2nd opinion to begin with anyway.
ive just been reading your page, sitting here just about crying for you but also nodding away too.
rubys snoring away,im really glad she is oblivious to it all
and ilsamom thats a good plan dont fall out with the old vet just in case! i will start making phone calls asap,it cant do anything other than make me feel better. i do think our vets practise think i spoil her a bit, now that i really dont care about-i got her to spoil.

Last edited:
I really don't think you'll have to put your foot down. Just tell what you want and I think your vet will support you. Yelling and screaming gets you no where--most people when yelled at it just makes them pull away etc. Me included. Worst thing you can do is yell at me. Makes me want to climb in a hole.

I remember Pat on here who lives only about a hour from me but we've never met said to me--you won't find a vet that knows anything about this. Maybe that little tip will help you like it did me. You just need a vet that will support you and listen. Thats my advice.

Also, my vet told me he's never had one but after he saw Abbey's symptoms he did say he'd seen it in other cavs. Another words he's misdiagnosed a dog possibly.

Back