• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Beach Day Trips.....what to take??

vgaffney83

Those of you who visit the beach with your babies, what are somethings that you never go without, but that you actually use!!?? We are planning our first outing! So excited!! :p

First, I have to say that I am very jealous that you are visiting a beach. We never get to do day trips, but when we are on vacation, we take...

Leashes, bottled water, towels, combs and shampoo. I always travel with dog treats and our lab is never without her ball.

Have fun and take the camera!

We are AVID boaters and have boated with our dogs on boats as small as 20' to 38' and have taken them from lakes to oceans. In regards to sand etc. I would at least take a bucket where you could get water and dip them into it to get alot of the sand off. Sand is very messy. Of course, lots of drinking water. Depending on the situation even something like a crate if your all going in the water etc. Of course, make sure you watch your baby for dog stealers. When we had our 38" boat we'd sometimes go out in a boat for a week or more. We had a fan also to keep them cool as during the summer it can be hot. Sure is where I live. Of course lots of towels--dog bowls for water--food--usual necessity stuff. Maybe even an umbrella to keep the sun off of them. Can you tell our 38" was like a house on the water--lol. They also have those portable shower deals where you fill it with water and put in the sun and warms it up etc. Would be nice to hose them off before getting them in the car to get off some of that sand--you're obviously not going to get it all off but a fair share of it.

vgaffney--I just noticed where you are from--my brother used to live in Modesto so I've been there many many times. He now lives at Riverbank and I haven't been there since he moved but I believe it is pretty close to Modesto.

That's so funny. Riverbank is basically an extension of Modesto. To make this even more interesting, my mom was born and raised in Fort Valley, Ga and she and I will be going back there in June! Small world!

Wow. Fort Valley is pretty close to me--30-40 mins from me. Not much there--lol so never go there. As you said more interesting--lol. Why don't you go egg my brothers house or tp it tonight for me. I'm willing to paypal funds for you to do it--lol. Not out of meaness but love practical jokes.

Haha around here I'd probably be arrested or shot doing something like that!

Yeah not much in Fort Valley, we spend most of our time when we are in the city in Byron, Perry or Warner Robbins.

I'd bring lots of water 2 full bottles 1.5 liter - per dog - and a bowl of course!!! Also a ball and a beach umbrella in case it gets to hot for them. I also bring a spray bottle filled with water to wet them down so they don't overheat. If it will be a long day I'd bring a bit of food as well, all that beach running makes them hungry!

Jen and Ilsa

Since there is some boating conversations going on I have a question. I know cavaliers are good swimmers, I mean they are a spaniel, but does anyone have a life jacket they recommend?

We live a 5min walk from the beach here so ive only ever taken loads of water & a spray water bottle to keep Ruby cool-she thinks she's being tortured when i use it tho LOL! its when were going anywhere else that i pack up nearly the whole house for her:) when we went to see the eye man t'other week you'd have thought we were going for the week! the big shame is that Rubes isnt that keen on the beach so we rarely go

We have life jackets for ours and unfortunately I think they are on the boat which is covered up or else they are up at the lake where we have a trailer at. I will find a link tomorrow and post for you. You want one with a handle for sure. We used to do alot of boating where we would be in a dinghy--a dinghy is a small boat that is used to get to shore and back to your other boat that is probably anchored. We always had life jackets on them then.

This is the life jacket we use

3425632466_466c799a43_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3644/3425632466_466c799a43_o.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can put baby powder on them and the sand will not stick.

Doesn't help if they get wet, though.:)

We use the ruffwear life jackets. They are more expensive but my dogs LOVE to swim and they are definitely more comfortable in the ruffwear (I think I have 5 different ones for my ruby and the ruffwear is the one we always go to)

puppies3005.jpg

We use the ruffwear life jackets. They are more expensive but my dogs LOVE to swim and they are definitely more comfortable in the ruffwear (I think I have 5 different ones for my ruby and the ruffwear is the one we always go to)

puppies3005.jpg

I was looking at this one online. Is it made out of neoprene and what size did you get?

PS great action pic.

I was looking at this one online. Is it made out of neoprene and what size did you get?

PS great action pic.

They are made out of tough nylon - the neoprene one we have gets REALLY hot in the sun. I got mine from www.backcountryk9.com - I think I have a 10% off code if you need one. He is wearing an XS which should fit most cavaliers - its a chest measurement of 17-24 inches.

Last years style (what is in the picture) is on sale for $38

Back