• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Royal Canin

kmatt

Is there any reason why everyone I talk to seems to recommend this food that isn't a vet with a stockpile in his/her office.

I've read the ingrediants in it and they seem sound, but can anyone give any solid reviews about it. I fed Teddy Nutro because that is what he was on when I got him, but I'm trying to do everything 110% this time. I don't want to lose another one at such an early age.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS What should I look for in the food. Any thing to avoid or to make sure is in it?

Last edited:
Am anxious to see the responses to your post. The woman who was fostering Rudy had him on Royal Canin puppy blend when I got him. It is certainly in abundance at my local Petsmart as well. I have alternated Rudy between RC and Halo, but I have to order Halo and never seem to time it just right, so RC is my go-to. Rudy doesn't seem to mind. Heck, I think he'd eat whatever I put in front of him. But I would like to establish him in a solid pattern with the best possible.

I look at the protein sources. I like to see a meal as the top ingredient. Many foods will have fresh meat as one of the top ingredients which is fine, but keep in mind that all the water is cooked out during process. I prefer a the protein source to be specified. Chicken meal must be chicken but poultry meal could contain any or all of a number of different poultry. The same for meat meal vs. lamb meal. Anything labelled byproduct meal is something I'd stay away from personally.

Corn is a known allergen, and a nutritionist friend told me that although there isn't any scientific there is enough anecdotal data about brewers rice being linked to ear infections that she would recommend that a dog with ear problems try to avoid it to see if it helped.

I alternate between Royal canin and Arden Grange.Royal Canin is good,what I like about it is the small kibble size for cavaliers and my girl actually eats it and enjoys it.Problem is I find it fattens her quite easily.
So based just on my own experience:
Pros
Easily available
Small Kibble size for brachycephalic dogs
Good for fussy eaters
Premium dogfood.
They have the Cavalier Formula food.

Cons
Daisy puts on weight on Royal Canin.(she's well walked and exercised)
Easy to overfeed.

Sins

The answer to the stockpile question is Hills got there first!!...but we wont go into that here. Ever asked your vet what he/she feeds their dogs? Its far more likely to be RC JW or good old Chappie.

India and Geordie's breeder gave them Royal Canin Adult 27, so that's what we continued to feed them for their first few months with us. Then I became interested in reading about all the brands of dog foods and a vet recommended a few other brands like Innova, Solid Gold, etc. which we have fed them over the years.

Chocolate's breeder has given her dogs Royal Canin and other food brands as well.

I like the idea of varying their diets. I think I fed India and Geordie Innova Evo (chicken based) for too long, and now neither of them can eat chicken!! I've been changing Geordie and Choc's foods every time we need a new bag, but I have to be careful with India and her food allergies or she gets yeasty ears and mouth.

Thanks Cathy, that was great info. Makes me feel better about my habit of alternating too. And confirmed what I was suspecting...Rudy is def overwt. I did have him on puppy kibble - recently moved him to adult - so I'm doing some things right!

The answer to the stockpile question is Hills got there first!!...but we wont go into that here. Ever asked your vet what he/she feeds their dogs? Its far more likely to be RC JW or good old Chappie.

All the vets around here recommend Science Diet or Proplan and I really don't like either of those. They have to much extra yucky stuff that I don't like in them.

And thanks to everyone for their responses. I was told that feeding RC I would need to feed alot less just because it has so much more protein.

Regarding your PS question, this link is helpful if you scroll down and read the reviews of each food - the reviewer explains what is good and bad about each food. I've learned a lot from reading the reviews.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

That website gives alot of mixed reviews. That comment on the ingredients, but at the same time give the premiums with the same thing a different grade. I'm really not sure what to think. The other link you have though Gave some good info on what to look for, thanks for that!

Back