• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need help with neighbors dog

jgponder

While walking my Cav's on leash last Sat my biggest Cav @ 26lbs was attacked from behind by a yellow lab who had gotten loose from their owner who was walking a ways behind us. We did not know they were there and try to avoid them at all costs as he has gotten loose before and tried to get @ Alex. This time he went for the throat before my husband could pick him up. The owners never even tried to come and get him, a neighbor was able to get him under control. We have warned the owners before that we will call the police and report this if it ever happens again. They insist he just wants to play. I did report it and they were given a verbal warning and if it happens again they will be fined $100. My concern is what can I do while walking to prevent this if he happens again? I thought about pepper spray & I am told it is much to iffy and could hurt or anger the dog more. Carry a stick? Any advise would be appreicated. I just don't want anymore surprises from behind and not have any time to pick him up and worry that he will be hurt. I also have a 12lb one who could be snapped in a flash if he were to get his teeth on her.

Jane Mom to Alex & Emma

My thought is that you cannot control this situation. I would not walk my dogs in a potentially traumatic area but would travel to a better area until this dog is under control one way or another. Sounds harsh but small dogs are so vulnerable and to be quick enough to avoid attack is very hard.

Agree with frecklesmom that it will be best for you to locate a safer place for walks. Our trainer carries an air horn while walking her Irish Setter. She first has gotten her dog used to the sound by giving a treat when horn was first used. She did this in a training class with our dogs and they weren't bothered at all. She said other strange dogs usually back off but not wild animals.

Heather R

I'd definitely not walk my dogs in the vicinity. You could also get advice from the local dog warden. Have others had a similar experience? If so I'd get a group to make a complaint to police and express concern that another dog or potentially a child could be seriously harmed by this dog.

I'd carry a cane or umbrella I think if I had to be where this dog might appear. Opening an umbrella in the face of a charging dog can be a good deterrent.

I've run into problems like this before and while I know you live in a different country I do NOT know your laws.

A person down the street had a German Shepard that loved to attack Teddy. Teddy actually needed stitches a couple of times. And finally I walked down and told the owner that the next time I saw her German Shepard off leash or even without a muzzle on, she wouldn't have a companion that night. It is very serious business to talk about killing a neighbors pet, but after 3 visits to the emergency vet and a couple hundred dollars that she wouldn't refund me, I'd had it. Needless to say I have never seen that dog again outside without a muzzle and a leash on.

Is it me or are more and more labs becoming vicious? I thought labs were supposed to be so laid back, but I think their temperaments are getting out of control.

Is it me or are more and more labs becoming vicious? I thought labs were supposed to be so laid back, but I think their temperaments are getting out of control.

I think alot of owners don't give labs enough to do. Labs are extremely energetic and require alot of exercise and when they don't get it, it has to go somewhere else and that somewhere typically turns into aggression. I really don't think it if fair because like the pit bull, this dog is getting a bad name because of the few irresponsible owners. Alot like how Cavvies have such a bad name because of the few determined irresponsible breeders.

Also Labs are being placed more and more into small homes where they DON'T BELONG. They need space. Take it from me, I grew up with labs.

Thanks all for the good comments. I especially like the umbrella. Someone at work just told me their trainer told them to take a pop can and fill it 1/2 full with pea gravel and tape it shut. Fits in the pocket fine and if a dog charges, throw it at them or directly in front of them on the ground and it stops them cold giving time for you to at least pick yours up. It is a shame that we cannot walk out of our doors without worry that others cannot control their dogs. This happened in front of our house in our driveway.

Jane, Mom to Alex & Emma

Back