Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Cost MRI Screening at Chester

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i reckon i have seen some symptoms in Peaches but as she isnt in pain the vet won't authorise a MRI so we could have to pay 1000 rather than the insurance cover it.
    But symptoms are very common to many other conditions -- there are so many things that could be causing ALL Sm symptoms excepting perhaps air scratching. Has your vet has looked for other causes? If s/he has found nothing and isn't worried, then I would certainly not put Peaches through an MRI without at least another vet's recommendation that this is even an action worth considering. This isn't a risk-free procedure, like any other than involves anaesthesia. Why run the tiny chance of a problem -- including potential death due to a reaction -- if there's no reason to do so?

If you really think you are seeing symptoms and are not happy with your vet's response, then try a different vet and see what they say. I'd suggest maybe getting a recommendation from someone on the board who has a vet familiar with SM? Or ring the nearest neurology clinic and ask for a vet recommendation in your area?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

she mainly air scratches, and also licks air when she scratches. she also bunney hops and seems to have a slightly twisted lower back, that might just be her compensating to her hip.

i might just being paranoid but i will think it over.
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

Post Thanks / Like

More or less what Karlin said but will post what they said in e-mails:

It is intended for Midland Cavalier Club members at this rate. I need to have 25 per day, sometimes if we do not quite make that number I do let other interested people in as well.
    If you are interested get in touch again.

and:

[SIZE=3]We would normally offer our scheme to members first, if there was enough space I would then open it to non-members.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Regards,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Linda Flynn[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Hon Secretary[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Humberside CKCS Club[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

same for me, i need to talk this over with Matt first. one small question does SM get worse over time?
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

Post Thanks / Like

im not an expect (lol) but from what ive read, and ive been doing a lot of reading, sm can be totally different between dogs thats why its so hard to diagnose, you dog could have it for years without you ever reaslising, other dogs are desperatly in pain at a few months old.
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a progressive condition but as above -- some can have it a lifetime and show no signs, some can have very early onset. I have one whose symptoms have never changed and are very mild, and another who has steadily progressed but discomfort is controlled by medication at least for now.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com