• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Low Cost MRI Screening at Chester

linderbelle

I got a newsletter in my e-mail this morning and it told this:

Low cost MRI scanning

The Midland CKCS Club have arranged a low cost MRI scanning session with Geoff Skerritt in Chester at a cost of £100, possible dates available are; Tuesday May 12th, Thursday May 14th and Tuesday May 19th. Members should contact Mary Rees [email protected] to book places.

The Humberside CKCS Club have arranged a low cost MRI scanning session on Tuesday 28th July with Geoff Skerritt in Chester at a cost of £100. Members should contact Linda Flynn [email protected] to book places.

I sure hope its ok to do a copy and paste without asking permission but figured this might help somebody alot.

Hi linderbelle

Chester where Mr Skerrit practises is only about 12 miles away and as I just stated on another post I have just registered with his group practice ie Cranmore.
But as to taking my three to be MRI scanned I am too much of a coward and I am afraid that I would be absolutely mortified in case they discovered anything bad ,so I am sorry for me now until I can be sure of all the benefits of pre-emptive MRI Scanning and also never having seen or had any problems with SM ignorance is bliss ,I know this not right but for now no news is good news and I continue with my head in the sand and my only other reason for this selfish attitude is that I am only a pet person and have no desire whatsoever to enter the world of breeding that would then involve all that responsibilty it entails ,so for me, my Cavaliers do all I ask,they keep me company and in their presence they keep me very very happy and are the best pets in the whole wide world :):):):):)

Yes you do need to be a member as these are special club-subsidised events (unless they have extra spaces at the end in which case they may allocate them to non-members).

Any club member may however apply for these scans. They are intended for breeders and only give basic information. They are not intended as a diagnosis and Chestergates will not be giving treatment if a dog gets a positive diagnosis -- you then need to arrange a normal appointment.

Brian it isn't cowardice not to scan when you are not breeding and have no reason to scan :) (eg suspected symptoms). Just enjoy your dogs. Generally if not doing MRIs for breeding or research there's no reason people should do them unless they have suspected symptoms and have worked with their vet to eliminate all other possible causes for them *first*. (y)

I wouldn't scan if there wasn't any reason either Brian. Count your blessings that no symptoms etc. :) Luckily for me I'm not paranoid on my other two either. You can't be or you'd go insane. Although, I am watching Bentley which I think I'm going to do another post on what he is doing.

if i can take advantage of it, i will. i reckon i have seen some symptoms in Peaches but as she isnt in pain the vet won't authorise a MRI so we could have to pay £1000 rather than the insurance cover it.

i am aware it may be bad news but i would rather know now than wait till she is in pain.

Hi

And thank you Karlin and Linderbelle it puts my mind at ease .And I know when I take them tonight to Carnmore for the first time my heart will stop when they each have their hearts checked .:yikes:yikes:yikes

i reckon i have seen some symptoms in Peaches but as she isnt in pain the vet won't authorise a MRI so we could have to pay £1000 rather than the insurance cover it.

But symptoms are very common to many other conditions -- there are so many things that could be causing ALL Sm symptoms excepting perhaps air scratching. Has your vet has looked for other causes? If s/he has found nothing and isn't worried, then I would certainly not put Peaches through an MRI without at least another vet's recommendation that this is even an action worth considering. This isn't a risk-free procedure, like any other than involves anaesthesia. Why run the tiny chance of a problem -- including potential death due to a reaction -- if there's no reason to do so?

If you really think you are seeing symptoms and are not happy with your vet's response, then try a different vet and see what they say. I'd suggest maybe getting a recommendation from someone on the board who has a vet familiar with SM? Or ring the nearest neurology clinic and ask for a vet recommendation in your area?

she mainly air scratches, and also licks air when she scratches. she also bunney hops and seems to have a slightly twisted lower back, that might just be her compensating to her hip.

i might just being paranoid but i will think it over.

More or less what Karlin said but will post what they said in e-mails:

It is intended for Midland Cavalier Club members at this rate. I need to have 25 per day, sometimes if we do not quite make that number I do let other interested people in as well.
If you are interested get in touch again.

and:

We would normally offer our scheme to members first, if there was enough space I would then open it to non-members.

Regards,

Linda Flynn
Hon Secretary
Humberside CKCS Club

same for me, i need to talk this over with Matt first. one small question does SM get worse over time?

im not an expect (lol) but from what ive read, and ive been doing a lot of reading, sm can be totally different between dogs thats why its so hard to diagnose, you dog could have it for years without you ever reaslising, other dogs are desperatly in pain at a few months old.

It is a progressive condition but as above -- some can have it a lifetime and show no signs, some can have very early onset. I have one whose symptoms have never changed and are very mild, and another who has steadily progressed but discomfort is controlled by medication at least for now.

Back