• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Stairs

ilsamom

I've noticed lately that Ilsa has been hesitating sometimes when jumping on or off the bed (I am sure due to her SM). Sometimes I even need to assist her. I bought a set of stairs for the bed to help her out. She is fine going up and down stairs normally - to come into our building etc, but she is confused by this contraption next to our bed. She even goes as far to the other side of the bed as possible to jump up and down. Does anybody have any ideas to help her understand how to use the pet steps? If it could make her more comfortable I'd be so grateful.

Jen and Ilsa

Jen. Last week at the neurologist I asked him about what if Abbey should jump off the bed at night and he said he is VERY against ANY dog jumping off a bed. He said his son has a beagle and jumps off the bed and he about brains his son for letting him. We've got those stairs that they have now and she goes up them BUT she does not use them for going down and she has jumped off the bed a few times. We're scratching our heads trying to come up with something as I'm starting to think about getting back to my own bed. Luckily my husband is nicknamed McGuyver and can make anything and he has an idea.

Have you put her on the stairs and been behind her where she can't go back down? My shih tzu won't use it either no matter what we did.

I'm really leary about the way the neurologist did say that to me about any dog jumping off a bed and I'm not going to let mine do it anymore. Abbey can't get on our bed without the steps--its too high for her to jump--if we can't control her jumping off in the night then she won't be allowed on the bed anymore for her safety.

Work to train her to go down the steps by luring her (eg with a food reward). Link it to a command. You'd approach it as anything you want to train -- make the desired behaviour the one that is rewarded so you shape the dog to always choose the steps.

Work to train her to go down the steps by luring her (eg with a food reward). Link it to a command. You'd approach it as anything you want to train -- make the desired behaviour the one that is rewarded so you shape the dog to always choose the steps.

Exactly what I did using treats. Dylan didn't want to use it at first but he does every time now.

Exactly what I was going to say, Karlin.

Put your dog in a sit at the base of the steps, centered on them. Take the treat and keep it really low and close to the steps and then slowly go up the steps. If she steps off the steps trying to get to the treat, start at the beginning. If she follows the treat to the top of the bed, give her the treat. Now pull another one out and put it in front of her face and then drop it low and move it very slowly down the steps. Again, if she jumps off, pick her up and start again at the top. Do this about 3x in a row, a few times a day, for as long as it takes (should only take a few days!)

Casey loves her steps and uses them religiously now.

How many times did it take before it got to be routine? I'm worried about the night when we're asleep and her jumping off. Someday I'd like to actually sleep with my husband again--lol.

Has anyone used the PupStep Plus Stairs?

I thought having them in the bedroom may enable me to get a better night's sleep. At the moment I get woken by the dogs wanting to be lifted up.
They fold for storage, but I'm not sure whether they would fold enough to slide under our bed during the day.

I have Doggy Steps so they can get on the sofa.

Margaret C

Thanks everyone! I was looking forward to trying your ideas today but Ilsa is rather down because of the rain. She wants a lazy day lol. I'll start training her hopefully tomorrow and let you know how we get on.

Jen and Ilsa

what type of steps are the best? id like to get some for rubes altho she has no problem jumping on/off our bed id still prefer her to use steps. also any ideas on the best raised food& water bowls, as mentioned on another section by Karlin, again shes no problems feeding from hers but if itd be better for her id like to get some:)

Back