• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

They go berserk after having a bath...

shippers

Tonight the OH took our older cav Sally to his friends and left me at home with our 7 month old cav Lois. The idea was that I would get some time to spend training Lois plus I wasn't interested in watching football at his friends house. After awhile doing some training I decided to bath Lois. I brushed her through first and then shampoo'd and conditioned Lois in our shower. She went absolutely berserk after and was running round rubbing herself on everything. Our older cav does the same. Usually I take them to the groomer but I thought I could do them myself in between visits to cut the cost. I was wondering what others routine is when bathing their cav's? Any tips on calming them down? I did give her a kong but that was emptied in no time. She has finally crashed out now while I'm writing this.

Yes mine do that too. I just let them at it in the kitchen and dry the floor afterwards. I also have a leather couch which helps!!

Yep that is pretty much the norm! Like Brid I'd suggest just giving them a space in which they can run around like maniacs... :lol: To avoid having them mess up their coats you can put them in a drying coat -- I have lycra coats from K9 Topcoats that mean this mad dash around the house doesn't do much except make them feel good as they wriggle around.

Ditto with Harry, he stays calm while being towel dried, but the minute the bathroom door is opened he,s off charging around like a loony & it carries on for quite a while before he finally calms down. Think the best action is to have all doors shut before bathtime other wise he see,s anywhere as fair game to roll, shake rub etc, so best to keep beds out of bounds!:smile:

Rosie does the zoomies after her bath as well - I think this is the only reason why she tolerates a bath!!!

After she's finished zooming around, she sits in the hallway and alternates looking at me and then at the bedroom door - she wants the hairdryer out. She used to hate the hairdryer, but now she loves it - when I'm drying my hair, she'll sit on the floor near me and every now and then I'll point the hairdryer in her direction and she moves her head around so that her ears are flapping about :rolleyes:

haha! Yep, mine go bonkers, leaping couches and dashing about as they dig their shoulders down into anything soft. They don't have much to roll on. (hardwood floors, leather couches) so I usually throw down a big quilt and let them do that and then blowdry them a bit before and after they do their crazy routing.

Jasper does the same, zooms all over the place and rubs his body all over the carpets given the chance, I try to get really organised and close all the doors and dry him off fairly well and carry him downstairs in the towels and if the weather is good take him out for a walk and it takes his mind of it and by the time he gets home he`s fine and it`s time for a snooze.:)

Ellie does the same :p . Thankfully she doesnt mind the hairdryer. When she is almost dry, I pop her drying coat on, that keeps her fur smooth and very shiny:D

Ha ha - Sparky does the same too! I allways put towels down on the kitchen floor & he loves to roll around making his gremlin noises for ages! Then i just finish him off with the hair dryer & goes to sleep while im doing this (most times!)

Cass (my Jack Russell) on the other hand just goes to bed after her bath, with a disgusted look:swear: on her face!

My son and daughter-in-law bought us this towel a few years ago and it says this:

My Bath Towel

...are we done yet?
Can I use the couch now?
So Much for "Man's Best Friend".
Nice towel, but i prefer the carpet..
Great job, now I smell like a wet dog.
Is the cat next?
I smell TOO good now..
Let's play tug-A-war!
Dry my butt.
Yea, but I still look like a dog..
How come you're Wetter than me?
This Never works...
Hope I get a treat for this...

Rosie does the zoomies after her bath as well - I think this is the only reason why she tolerates a bath!!!

After she's finished zooming around, she sits in the hallway and alternates looking at me and then at the bedroom door - she wants the hairdryer out. She used to hate the hairdryer, but now she loves it - when I'm drying my hair, she'll sit on the floor near me and every now and then I'll point the hairdryer in her direction and she moves her head around so that her ears are flapping about :rolleyes:

Ha Ha! Holly does this too!!!!!
After bath goes bananas running around, then sits up on a chair while i blow dry her!
She used to be scared of dryer so I started keeping her beside me while i dried my own hair, now everytime i do mine she jumps up for a little blast too, its v funny!!!!!:p

Well today was Sally's bath time. She was disgusted with me. After her bath I towel dried her and used the hairdryer on her for a bit then because the weather was nice I took them both out and Sally came back all dry and fluffy! They've both been frontlined and got clean bedding so now they're all crashed out. The OH doesn't realise what a hectic day I've had with these dogs while he's been at work. They look like butter wouldn't melt now :luv:

Shippers: You're not suppose to give the frontline two days before getting wet or 2 days after I believe. Thats what I've always been told. Even getting wet outside from a rainstorm etc.

Oh no! I bathed them and when they were completely dry I applied the frontline. I must have read the packet wrong. I read it as if it was saying not to bath them or let them get wet for 2 days after applying Frontline as I thought it would wash it off. Oh no what a waste if it doesn't work :sl*p:

zoomies, another Cavvy term that I'm adding to my vocab.

So far here is my new dictionary thanks to the board

Gangles - the act of not being within conformation

Zoomies - running around like your on fire in an attempt to dry ones self. (must try that one someday):drivecar:

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

I think I'm the dumb one shippers--lol. 2 days before or two days after.

Thanks for that as I didn't know. In future I will wait 2 days after bathing them before I apply it. I'm so glad you told me because if they ever got fleas I'd be wondering why!

My little Happy Harry always did the same..he loved the bath (i would put water in for him 1st)...he posed for pics and all! :snap:! He would stay pure still while i towel dried him and then go mad...runnin all round the place, up and down the stairs and rubbin himself all over (thankfully the carpet was old). as for the hairdryer, he loved it, actually so much that when id dry my own hair id have to sit on the ground and he'd sit on my knees so he would feel the heat too. I groomed him myelf all the time...think i loved it even more than him...!! Bonding...thats what i called it! The fact my OH not a dog lover..well not as ott as me ( he comes from real irish farmin backgorund...he thinks dogs have to have a function other than being spoilt and being best pals etc) meant i had to sneak harry upstairs for his baths and then hide all evidence!! ha!!...never got caught!!:rah:
Enjoy the baths/showers !!

Back