• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers Swimming?

ClevelandCavs

I don't know what is wrong with me, but I love to see Cavaliers swimming! Does yours like to swim? Have photos of him or her? :snap:

swimming

hi, greetings here from a cold ireland. my beautiful and spoiled cavalier king charles harry hates swimming!hates water! when we go to the beach he will not go near the sea and as for having a bath, no you should see the little face. that is interesting that your cavalier likes to swim...

My Riley hates to swim and won't go in without his life vest on. He would rather lay by the side of a pool than actually go in the pool itself. I bought him a little baby pool and he wouldn't even go in that!!!

Mine are not really swimmers either - Belle got great laughs the last day we went on a cavaliertalk walk and she stood at the edge of the sea and dipped her toe into the water and then ran off!

I know they can swim but they are not bothered. They do like the bath though.

I wish ours would swim.

Some of them paddle, and Jennifer loves it if they get out of their depth in a rock pool so that they HAVE to swim ;)

My Ellie loves to play on the beach, but will not put her toes in the water;):paw:

Anna an I were walking around the pool the other day and she just jumped in. Now mind you she is only 9 wks old no, but I turned around to see her swimming like a pro. I think the only major issue is that the water was kinda cold in her underdeveloped coat.:luv:

Max will like swimming I think. We were at the beach last weekend and he ran right in up to his chin.:D. I think that he would have gone swimming for sure if I had of been willing to wade in with him. It will be a couple of months before I'll be willing to do that though! Mindy doesn't really care to swim but with Max she will wade in as far as her knees.

Mine swim....infact one is totally obsessed with the water and cries(loudly) to get off leash and into the water...she actually jumps in....even in the freezing cold :eek:

It can be slightly embarassing.she waits for someone to throw something in so she can get it....i dnt encourage this as i have heard of dogs catching stones in their mouths so me being the "crazy woman with the dogs" tell children(including my own) not to throw stones for my dogs. I do get some faces pulled at me esp from their parents :rolleyes:

I lost my beloved Pixie at 11 months old to delayed drowning (I mistakenly originaly called it dry drowning) from water she inhaled (without ever a cough or any sign that she had inhaled any) while playing in a VERY shallow, maybe 4 or 5 inch deep kiddie pool. She never gave a clue that anything was wrong with her until about half an hour after we came inside from being in the water. I will never allow mine to play in the water due to this. Maybe it is being paranoid, but if you had lived thru what I did, you would likely feel the same. It isn't as unheard of as I would have previously thought. After this happened to my Pixie, I learned about another cavalier who this happened to who also lived here in Georgia after taking a walk at the lake and playing in the shallow water.
My Pixie's story is here:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=25419&highlight=drowning
and here
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=25437&highlight=drowning

Our Ragnar loves going to the beach and fetching balls thrown out into the water.

That's a terrible story re: the delayed drowning. I had not heard of that before. It seems like that's a possibility with anything going into the water. I've just pulled up a bunch of news reports of this happening to human children. That must have been awful.

-G

my.php
p1010002dig.jpg

This is Oliver who adores swimming!!:)

I have 4 dogs and have an in-ground swimming pool and thank god none of them want to swim. I would literally pull my hair out if they did. Also, we live on a lake but they can't get at it because of fencing but again would be a nightmare and sometimes they are allowed on the dock etc. I've actually never ever had a dog that did like to swim and funny thing is we are avid water people--meaning lakes, boating, fishing etc. We both love anything to do with water. Weird--lol.

Both ours hate water - I have even waded in the sea with my wellies on to show them - still no interest. Even when it is raining they look at us as if to say, "You expect me to go out in that!!"

Back