Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leo attacked.....thankfully he's ok

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leo attacked.....thankfully he's ok

Hi,
    I feel I need to rant a bit here. I was walking Leo this morning over some school fields that belong to a private school near where I live. There is a public right of way. Out of no where came a black lab. As usual Leo tail wagging wanting to say hello. There was the usual sniffing when suddenly the lab attacked Leo.
    It was awful, Leo was yelping like mad and I managed to get the lab off him.I picked him up so the lab couldnt get to him.
    Walking towards me was one of the grounds men a big grin on his face!! I asked him if the dog was his to which he replied yes. He then said quite cheerfull 'Get in to a scrap did they"
    I said No your dog attacked my dog. He was quite cheerful when he said He's never done that before.
    I pointed out that he'd done it now hadnt he!
    I said if he could control his dog he should keep it on a lead.
    He was totally noplussed by this.
    Anyway luckily Leo seems fine, Im on the other hand not!!!:

My main concern is that this idiot lets his unpredictable volatile dog run lose around a school playing field.
    I have phoned the school to report him as Im really concerned that dog could attack a child.

Am I being over hysterical do you think or was I right to let the school know?

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

A dog shouldn't be let loose around a school playing field.Apart from bothering children it'd probably poop all over the place too.
    I'm glad Leo wasn't hurt, alas we all know a few of these idiots who think it's fine to let their hairy hounds loose on the unsuspecting population.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

you did just the right thing! is poor Leo alright?
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

Post Thanks / Like

That must have been frightening. I dont' think you are being hysterical. If a lab attacks another dog it could certainly attack a kid. As we all know kids love dogs. Rarely a day goes by that I walk my guys and some youngsters don't ask if they can pet them.

Post Thanks / Like

In the local paper here,3 greyhounds/lurchers have just torn a cat to shreds in front of some kids.Apparently these dogs belong to travellers and they are allways loose.Alfs was attacked on the beach here,lucky no mayjor damage was done,but the owner just walked off,i was so MAD.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ,

I was really shaken and obviously furious that my boy was attacked.
    Leo does seem absolutely fine and after the initial yelping walked home as if nothing had happened.

I will be watching him closley.

Im waiting for the school to call me back as Ive asked them to tell me the out come.

mel

Post Thanks / Like

I have been seeing more and more LABS acting this way. I don't know what's going on with this supposed "easy-going" breed...
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

The trainer in my current class quoted some studies saying that a lab is the most likely dog to bite it's owner followed in third place by Golden's. Having been a Golden owner for years (of a dog who wouldn't have ever even hurt a fly on purpose) U would question whether it was in total bites or % of dogs. Regardless, I suppose when a breed gets popular you will have more breeders who are not breeding for health and temperament.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mindysmom View Post
    The trainer in my current class quoted some studies saying that a lab is the most likely dog to bite it's owner followed in third place by Golden's. Having been a Golden owner for years (of a dog who wouldn't have ever even hurt a fly on purpose) U would question whether it was in total bites or % of dogs. Regardless, I suppose when a breed gets popular you will have more breeders who are not breeding for health and temperament.
    I completely agree, but also as they get more popular, people don't understand how to train them correctly. There are many people in this world who I know love dogs, but they should never own one. They just lack the moral fortitude to correct their dog.

I think that has more than anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally think you did the right thing, it will be interesting to see what the school say in response, let us know.
    So glad that the 2 ofyou are ok, if a little shaken, it can't have been a pleasant experience.
    Sarah

Harry-tri & Charlie-ruby