• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo attacked.....thankfully he's ok

meljoy

Hi,
I feel I need to rant a bit here. I was walking Leo this morning over some school fields that belong to a private school near where I live. There is a public right of way. Out of no where came a black lab. As usual Leo tail wagging wanting to say hello. There was the usual sniffing when suddenly the lab attacked Leo.
It was awful, Leo was yelping like mad and I managed to get the lab off him.I picked him up so the lab couldnt get to him.
Walking towards me was one of the grounds men a big grin on his face!! I asked him if the dog was his to which he replied yes. He then said quite cheerfull 'Get in to a scrap did they"
I said No your dog attacked my dog. He was quite cheerful when he said He's never done that before.
I pointed out that he'd done it now hadnt he!
I said if he could control his dog he should keep it on a lead.
He was totally noplussed by this.
Anyway luckily Leo seems fine, Im on the other hand not!!!:(:

My main concern is that this idiot lets his unpredictable volatile dog run lose around a school playing field.
I have phoned the school to report him as Im really concerned that dog could attack a child.

Am I being over hysterical do you think or was I right to let the school know?

Mel

A dog shouldn't be let loose around a school playing field.Apart from bothering children it'd probably poop all over the place too.
I'm glad Leo wasn't hurt, alas we all know a few of these idiots who think it's fine to let their hairy hounds loose on the unsuspecting population.
Sins

That must have been frightening. I dont' think you are being hysterical. If a lab attacks another dog it could certainly attack a kid. As we all know kids love dogs. Rarely a day goes by that I walk my guys and some youngsters don't ask if they can pet them.

In the local paper here,3 greyhounds/lurchers have just torn a cat to shreds in front of some kids.Apparently these dogs belong to travellers and they are allways loose.Alfs was attacked on the beach here,lucky no mayjor damage was done,but the owner just walked off,i was so MAD.

Thanks ,

I was really shaken and obviously furious that my boy was attacked.
Leo does seem absolutely fine and after the initial yelping walked home as if nothing had happened.

I will be watching him closley.

Im waiting for the school to call me back as Ive asked them to tell me the out come.

mel:(

I have been seeing more and more LABS acting this way. I don't know what's going on with this supposed "easy-going" breed...

The trainer in my current class quoted some studies saying that a lab is the most likely dog to bite it's owner followed in third place by Golden's. Having been a Golden owner for years (of a dog who wouldn't have ever even hurt a fly on purpose) U would question whether it was in total bites or % of dogs. Regardless, I suppose when a breed gets popular you will have more breeders who are not breeding for health and temperament.

The trainer in my current class quoted some studies saying that a lab is the most likely dog to bite it's owner followed in third place by Golden's. Having been a Golden owner for years (of a dog who wouldn't have ever even hurt a fly on purpose) U would question whether it was in total bites or % of dogs. Regardless, I suppose when a breed gets popular you will have more breeders who are not breeding for health and temperament.

I completely agree, but also as they get more popular, people don't understand how to train them correctly. There are many people in this world who I know love dogs, but they should never own one. They just lack the moral fortitude to correct their dog.

I think that has more than anything to do with it.

I totally think you did the right thing, it will be interesting to see what the school say in response, let us know.
So glad that the 2 ofyou are ok, if a little shaken, it can't have been a pleasant experience. :)

About goldens and biting. In our area there is a breeder who is known for breeding male goldens with a somewhat nasty streak. I watched the male pup from one of her litters attack another dog at the park.

Glad that you and your cavalier are okay! Our neighbor has a soft coated wheaten and we don't allow our cavalier to play with it since it has attacked other dogs( not our golden whom it loves to romp about)

Heather R

Glad your little ones ok.

its very frightening when that happens, we - me & my two akitas were attacked by a black lab that lives locally last summer, the dog bit me and attacked my biggest, he still walks around off lead!

makes you so mad that others put you & yours in danger.

I think you did the right thing. I don't know about UK and surrounding areas, but some parts in the USA does not allow dogs off leash. I am glad you and your pup are alright!

Hi again,

Thanks for all the comments. The school rang me this afternoon to say they had called the grounds man in and spoken to him. He wanted me to know how sorry he is and they have told him he must now keep his dog on a lead at all times.
They did say that if I have anymore trouble would I ring them again.
Im still really angry and would have prefered it if they had banned him from bringing his dog to work.....but hey if he keeps him on a lead its a start.

At least Leo seems over it.

Mel

Hi Mel, poor Leo and poor you, that must have really shaken you up. I'm glad you phoned the school but, had you called the police, perhaps the man would have been banned from taking his dog to the school. I would call the school and tell them you have had second thoughts and you prefer the dog not to be near children and you feel you should take this further. This might be enough for them to take better action.

:hug:

A couple of years ago my Cassie was attacked by a springer Spaniel both her and I were bitten badly. I reported this to our dog warden and it turned out this dog should have been wearing a muzzle as he had attcked before. I would inform your local dog warden just in case this dog is known to them.
Hope you are both ok, it's such a dreadful shock when this happens and it will take some time to get over.:flwr:

Nanette

Hi Mel, you have every right to be shaken up. Poor Claire L on the board had her dog killed recently in a similar situation.
I don't think you overreacted at all. That guy is a prick (and I am being lenient).
I will suggest you check very carefully for punctures. I had two of my dogs years ago get into a scrap. I didn't catch a couple of punctures on the "loser" (white dog...the punctures didn't bleed at all!) and they got infected. I caught them a week later and we had to go to the vet for treatment.

yeah i think you are right to do that ...next time it could be another dog he attacks or as you say a child ... it is just so irresposible of dog owners to just think they can let there dog off the lead

I would not only involve the police, but also have your vet examine Leo thoroughly for puncture wounds and send the bill to the dog owner c/o the school. (y)

Also, please assume the dog will be off lead again, as from my own experience this type of dog owner will obey for about a week and then revert to old behavior. :mad:

If you want more done, you need to phone your local education authority. I work in a school, and would never expect them to allow me to take my dog to work. I could leave him in the car and walk him off the grounds at lunchtime, but reckon that's about it.
I would emphasise that you don't want the animal punished, but point out that if it has never attacked before, it could easily have been a child that was bitten. THEN they'd have problems. The LEA can give the head a kick up the ass, (who is bending the rules - if the owner was disabled and needed the dog, then that would be different).
PS I'm amused I can say 'ass', but the forum won't let me use the English word :badgrin:

Back