• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

a question about neutered cavs

mounie

Hi everybody, i am going to get my little one (11 months old) neutered, but some people told me that after the surgery he will need to go out more often to pee and will gain weight, have you experienced this?
thank you

thats rubbish, he will gain more weight if you feed him the same as you do now, you need to reduce his intake of dogfood, offer him veg and other low fat food. He wont gain weight if your feed him the correct amount or change is food to a light variety, they just dont use up so many calories thats all. di

I have two boys and have never experienced that either of them needed to pee more often after they were neutered. That being said though, when out on walks it seems like they pee more, but they just like to mark about every 5 feet or so! Very different from my girls. Also, your boy isn't quite full grown yet and will naturally put on some more weight simply due to his age - regardless of whether he is neutered or not.

he will need to go out more often to pee and will gain weight

Not true. I'm not sure where the "need to go out more often" comes from. I'd never heard that before and it's definitely not the case. They can gain weight but if you control their food and exercise them regularly they will not gain weight. My boy was neutered at 6 months and now, at almost 7 years old, is a lean svelte little man. ;)

Of all the boys I have had neutered, I have never encountered one that pees more often afterwrds - if anything, they pee less because they aren't marking all the time. They just go when they need to, as opposed to when they want to (granted, peeing on everything can still apply on walks :rolleyes:)

They don't automatically put on weight the second done, they can lean towards putting it one but (from my experience) this usually tends to apply more to the ladies. Usually, they need a reduction of about 20% food/calorie intake and their weight should not increase.

My boy was neutered at 6 months, and is now almost 1 1/2. He still squats when he pees, and does not pee any more than before. As long as you measure the food each day to be the same, he should not gain any weight. He will be fine after the surgery- it is very routine, and I believe a good thing! :wggle:

Of all the boys I have had neutered, I have never encountered one that pees more often afterwrds - if anything, they pee less because they aren't marking all the time.

Same here. Needing to pee more often after neutering has no truth in it at all. Gaining weight -- sometimes, as they need slightly fewer calories. Most people don't adjust the diet to reflect this. But then many people overfeed whether their dogs are neutered or not! My boys actually eat what they ate before being neutered but they get lots of walks. :)

Mounie,

I agree with what was said above.

1. Your puppy will not pee more often.

2. The simplest way to prevent weight gain is to switch to a light diet. Do a smooth transition between the current and the new diet over 10 days.

3. If more people did this, 50% of our dog population wouldn't be overweight or obese.

Good luck.

drphilzeltzman
www.drphilzeltzman.com

I would have thought that they pee less as they dont feel the need to mark there terrortary as much?

know its not the same breed of dog but i found this with my big lad?

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to reply to me, a special thanks to dr Zeltzman , i got a clear picture now, my only concern is to make nicki get one more shot, he cried for long each time he went to the vets for his vaccinations ( 4 times so far) and they sedate dogs with a shot before giving anaesthetic.

Greetings

Where are they giving the injections? If in the neck ask them to do it in the thigh (NOT the back!). Also dogs only need to be on a three-year core vaccination schedule -- see the extensive information in the Library on vaccinations and advice from UC Davis vet school on this issue.

Sorry a little OT

Karlin - Should we be getting their boosters in the thigh rather than in the neck? Sparky was very painfull at the injection site (neck) for a good 24hrs after his booster the other week & I didn wonder (after) whether somewhere else would be better nect time.

Back