• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When to neuter?

sarahso

This has probably been answered somewhere else but i have looked through and cant find a post! so sorry in advance!

Poppy is 9 months old & hasnt had a season as yet.

we really want to get her neutered as soon as possible, both my other two are so its not a desperate situation but i would feel more at ease when she has been done.

what is the best age to neuter? should she have a season first?

im really concerned as i knew a dog that had been done as she was coming into season and she unfortunately died, i have heard that it is dangerous if they are in season or about to come into - which we just dont know so im wondering if it is best to wait until after her first season?

There's a slightly higher risk if she is already in season but I have safely neutered several females in season -- not having much choice with rescues in the situation they were in.

Lots of info here: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=21755

What is the Evidence for Health Benefits of Neutering?

For female dogs spaying obviously prevents pyometra, but the effect on mammary cancer is the most significant health reason for early spaying of bitches (before their first season).

* Mammary cancer is the most common type of cancer in the bitch (52% of all tumours)
* Around 50% of mammary tumours are malignant
* Spaying a bitch at a young age dramatically reduces the risk of mammary cancer.

Statistics showing the percentage risk of mammary tumours developing in the spayed bitch compared to the intact bitch:

* Neutered prior to first oestrus: 0.05%
* Neutered between first & second oestrus: 8%
* Neutered after second oestrus: 26%
* Neutered after 2.5 years or 4 oestrus cycles: No effect

Therefore, if a bitch is neutered before her first season, she is 2,000 times less likely to develop mammary cancer than if she is left entire until she is three years of age.

If she has her first season she will always have some lifetime risk of mammary tumours. Some feel dogs should be about age one more to do with having reached adult size, nothing really to do with any need to have a season first.

Most vets recommend neutering at 6 months. Nine months is really pushing it so if you are going to save yourself having to keep her inside for four weeks I'd move to get her spayed immediately. Otherwise just be aware of how careful you will need to be and probably will need to separate completely from your male -- some neutered males will try to mate a bitch in season or could be overexcited by her, and the size difference could make this dangerous.

I neuter all females before first season and have never had any problems. Others like to wait a bit longer. It's really what you feel you can manage and how you weigh up benefits v. risks.

some neutered males will try to mate a bitch in season or could be overexcited by her, and the size difference could make this dangerous.

i really didnt know that! that would be way to dangerous for her, i will ring tomorrow and speak to the vets & get her booked in.

thank you

I get mine done at 6 months but since she hasn't come into season yet, I would definately advise to get her spayed asap!

Mirroring what Karlin said as far as tumours are concerned, not to mention what a pain in the bum it is to deal with a bitch in season (having to walk them at night/disgracefully early hours of the morning, dogs coming from far and wide to show their interest, having to be so cautious about keeping her in...). The best time to get them done is before their first season, or half way between seasons, but because she hasn't had one yet it's best to get her done soon. (y)

Back