• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Dylan

*Pauline*

A little update on Dylan.

The 100mg of Gabapentyn made Dylan sleep all day so we went back to 2 capsules divided into 3 (66.6mg). But Dylan is still air scratching while out walking. I am going to divide 3 capsules into 4 (75mg) and see how he does on this.

Here's a little film of how I split the pills, I buy empty capsules for this and use the ones I have emptied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcHYGbhRT4M&feature=channel_page

And here are some current pictures. I'm worried about Dylan's coat. Ok so the big patch that was shaved for his spinal tap grew back as "cotton coat" but now it is spreading. It's a real shame as he has a wonderful shiney smooth coat. He is under 7kg and still entire so maybe it is the pills?

These are after a bath so looking bigger than he is. His eyes might look funny as I did some red eye correction on the photos. The patch that was shaved on his neck is growing back slowly but is still lovely and soft.

3477408701_21dc0a3182.jpg

3477403129_a00882c626_b.jpg

That was scary looking, Pauline.

Hope Dylan will feel less sleepy after adjusting the amount of Gabapentyn. He's such a doll even all poofy after a bath.

:luv:I dont care how his coat looks he is beautiful :l*v:
----Aileen and the gang ?(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

If he is still scratching I would return to talk to the neurologists -- it's not a good idea to experiment with dosages without medical support in doing this, especially not to ever reduce pain medication when his scratching is a sign of discomfort and pain. If 75mg isn't enough then I would not even consider reducing it. Perhaps you need some additional meds. Many dogs are on two or three. Leo is on two.

Leo is much smaller than Dylan and gets 100 to 150mg 3x depending on how he is doing. He's been on 100mg 3x for several years.

Keep in mind that what you are seeing as tiredness could possibly be an avoidance of activity and lethargy due to pain of the condition itself! Dogs that are in pain tend to sleep more and avoid activity. It may be that increasing his dosage would cause an improvement. That is why in this case I would be working closely with a neurologist to reassess his pain levels and the current effectiveness of the pain meds.

Gabapentin won't cause his coat to change. Shaving it probably did -- this is why so breeders often say not to cut the coats of cavaliers as it can cause a coat change (I think another thing that gets attributed to neuteres as many pet owners start cutting their coats not too long after the dogs are neutered... that's when coats tend to start to get long). Unfortunately if a dog needs shaving for surgery etc there isn't too much that can be done though of course. Also it doesn't always do this (Leo's been shaved as has Jaspar with no change). Maybe it will appear less fluffy as it gets longer as well?

Because of its huge size now, I'm going to suggest this thread be wound up and that you open a new thread in the health section in future for further discussions of this sort on medical issues or Dylan's SM condition (or open it in the SM section, better yet) -- this is a topic that is best filed into health where it may benefit others :) rather that here in the general news section, and really long threads like this are very hard for people to follow and many people won't have been active o the board when this started and simply won't bother to read it as it is so long.

it's not a good idea to experiment with dosages without medical support in doing this, especially not to ever reduce pain medication when his scratching is a sign of discomfort and pain...

...Keep in mind that what you are seeing as tiredness could possibly be an avoidance of activity and lethargy due to pain of the condition itself!

Don't worry, I do consult the neurologist before any change with the meds. She told me to try 100mg for a week and if it makes him too drowsy he can go back down. He has Rimadyl as a backup. 100mg three times a day really does make him sleep all day, a lower dose and he is better.

I'm confused, what looks like something way worse?
Pauline he is beautiful I always think that your photos of Dylan are so good has for the meds I cannot give advice only to keep in touch with your vets
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Oh sorry I realise you were mentioning raising the dose, not lowering. As long as your neurologist knows what is going on. (y)

Maybe 100mg twice daily would help.

If he only scratches on walks maybe you don't need to be moving dosages around. Some dogs will simply always scratch on walks -- they are just too sensitive at the contact points of collar or harness. If that is the case, then I don't think I'd be raising dosages simply for that one type of scratching incidence.

Has your neurologist considered using gabapentin in combination any of the range of different meds that are suggested for example in Clare's treatment diagram?

Thanks Karlin. Um...trying to remember. I tried 100mg twice a day way back when my neuroloigst was unavailable over a bad weekend and I took the advice of the weekend staff. I do find with Dylan that whatever dose I give, it won't last 12 hours, he makes it very clear he is in pain or discomfort. Also 100mg knocks him out. His neuro wasn't happy with that dose and we changed to 66.6mg.

That's reassuring what you say about his harness, I'm inclined to agree. It's a pity as, when we first went up to 66.6mg, all the air scratching during walks stopped, I was so happy. This is what makes me think a little more Gabapentyn will stop it again.

My neuro likes to use as little drugs as possible and I agree. When and if he needs them, then that's different.

What other meds if Dylan taking? Ilsa was taking gabapentin and omeprazole and was having fatigue as you describe with Dylan. Karlin recommended that we raise the dose and I talked to my neurologist who agreed to try it but it gave Ilsa stomach upset and diarreah, so we stopped.

We then switched neurologists (as the old one was very cold and uncaring and told me that it was impossible for the SM or medications to cause the fatigue).

Our new neurologist put Ilsa on Previcox which didn't help her at all, then we changed to a small dose of cortisone - 2.5 mg every other day. She is doing so much better with that I am convinced she was in pain before and not drugged.

Actually we started with 2.5 mg twice a day then once. We've been at every other day for some time now and will soon try to have it every 3rd day. We are trying to find the minimum effective dose.

So I'd talk to the vet and see if you could try adding another drug - if it doesn't work you can always stop.

And thank you Karlin for the advice, you were right and our neurologist was not - we are very grateful!!!!

Jen and Ilsa

Pauline, I just anted to say dispite everything Dylan is GORGEOUS!!!! :l*v:

Cant offer any advice on meds or anything as ive no experience of SM (& hope never to have) but just wanted you to know we're all here - even if it is just to tell you how much we all LOVE :l*v: Dylan!

Thanks Sonia, I was a bit upset some said he looked scary, I hope it's just because of the red eye art work I did on his picture icon_nwunsure

Jen, maybe one day but we have reasonable control of this at the moment without resorting to steroids thank goodness. I'm glad Ilsa is feeling better. :)

I think what Kmatt means is that it looks like you're a drug dealer in the video making nice little capsules of illegal substances to sell!!!! :eek:

I think what Kmatt means is that it looks like you're a drug dealer in the video making nice little capsules of illegal substances to sell!!!! :eek:

Oh, I see!!! Yes, I get that comment every time I get the mirror and knife out :rolleyes: Thanks for clearing that up, I'm oversensitive.

just keep up dylan's drug habit and the world will be all better, specially for that super fly kinda guy :rah::rah:

Well if Dylan is scary he is quite welcome to come over & scare me silly anytime! But he just looks as squeeeeeeezably gorgeous as usual to me!

Thanks Sonia, I was a bit upset some said he looked scary, I hope it's just because of the red eye art work I did on his picture icon_nwunsure

Back