Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Dylan

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karlin. Um...trying to remember. I tried 100mg twice a day way back when my neuroloigst was unavailable over a bad weekend and I took the advice of the weekend staff. I do find with Dylan that whatever dose I give, it won't last 12 hours, he makes it very clear he is in pain or discomfort. Also 100mg knocks him out. His neuro wasn't happy with that dose and we changed to 66.6mg.

That's reassuring what you say about his harness, I'm inclined to agree. It's a pity as, when we first went up to 66.6mg, all the air scratching during walks stopped, I was so happy. This is what makes me think a little more Gabapentyn will stop it again.

My neuro likes to use as little drugs as possible and I agree. When and if he needs them, then that's different.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

What other meds if Dylan taking? Ilsa was taking gabapentin and omeprazole and was having fatigue as you describe with Dylan. Karlin recommended that we raise the dose and I talked to my neurologist who agreed to try it but it gave Ilsa stomach upset and diarreah, so we stopped.

We then switched neurologists (as the old one was very cold and uncaring and told me that it was impossible for the SM or medications to cause the fatigue).

Our new neurologist put Ilsa on Previcox which didn't help her at all, then we changed to a small dose of cortisone - 2.5 mg every other day. She is doing so much better with that I am convinced she was in pain before and not drugged.

Actually we started with 2.5 mg twice a day then once. We've been at every other day for some time now and will soon try to have it every 3rd day. We are trying to find the minimum effective dose.

So I'd talk to the vet and see if you could try adding another drug - if it doesn't work you can always stop.

And thank you Karlin for the advice, you were right and our neurologist was not - we are very grateful!!!!

Jen and Ilsa
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
    Mahatma Gandhi

Post Thanks / Like

Pauline, I just anted to say dispite everything Dylan is GORGEOUS!!!!

Cant offer any advice on meds or anything as ive no experience of SM (& hope never to have) but just wanted you to know we're all here - even if it is just to tell you how much we all LOVE Dylan!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sonia, I was a bit upset some said he looked scary, I hope it's just because of the red eye art work I did on his picture

Jen, maybe one day but we have reasonable control of this at the moment without resorting to steroids thank goodness. I'm glad Ilsa is feeling better.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Pauline,

Your boy is so hansom, despite the fluffy coat

Post Thanks / Like

I think what Kmatt means is that it looks like you're a drug dealer in the video making nice little capsules of illegal substances to sell!!!!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love my Cavaliers View Post
    I think what Kmatt means is that it looks like you're a drug dealer in the video making nice little capsules of illegal substances to sell!!!!
    Oh, I see!!! Yes, I get that comment every time I get the mirror and knife out Thanks for clearing that up, I'm oversensitive.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

just keep up dylan's drug habit and the world will be all better, specially for that super fly kinda guy

Post Thanks / Like

Well if Dylan is scary he is quite welcome to come over & scare me silly anytime! But he just looks as squeeeeeeezably gorgeous as usual to me!

Quote Originally Posted by *Pauline* View Post
    Thanks Sonia, I was a bit upset some said he looked scary, I hope it's just because of the red eye art work I did on his picture
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing scary about Dylan he is just as handsome as ever.