• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

coughing

patg

Hi, Was wondering if anyone has dealt with your cavalier coughing. :( Riley, my 2 1/2 yr. male B&T started coughing about 1 week ago. It is a dry cough. He seems fine in every other way, except for his ortho issues. It is allergy season here now and all of the flora is popping this week. Could it be allergies? Any ideas are welcome.
Pat & Riley New Jersey

The best idea would be to get to your vet. :) A cough could be a minor issue or an indication of something more serious. Impossible to tell without having your vet have a look. You'd want to eliminate the bigger possibilities (like heart problems) though these are very unlikely. I'd guess he may possibly have kennel cough -- highly contagious and easily spread amongst dogs -- in which case it would be a good idea to see if you need to get antibiotics to address it. Maybe allergies... but really, your vet needs to check this out and advise.

Hi thanks for your response. I looked up Kennel cough but he has not been around other dogs at all . I think the safe thing will be to take him in if it continues. Seems somewhat coincidetal with all of the pollen flying but don't think he has allergies. I know it's hard and not good to speculate. Pat & Riley

My Riley had a cough for about a week two years ago when she swallowed a very large cicada. It really irritated her throat. The vet said it kind of sounded like kennel cough and put her on antibiotics just to be sure, but I am 100% positive it was the huge bug. Maybe your Riley got into something similar. Always a good idea to get it checked out though.

Hi Bev, Your Riley and my Riley could be twins.;) So cute!!! He has been outside alot with me recently and it just started a few days ago. He seems ok after he coughs so maybe an irritation like you say. I will watch him for another day or 2. It seemed to come out of nowhere. It;s always something!!!! Hugs to Riley and all from me and Riley:D

Back