Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Pidgeon ,Collared Dove - Would They

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Wood Pidgeon ,Collared Dove - Would They

Hi

Whenever they all go out into the garden its always a mad scramble between the four of them as to be first out as I try to open the door ,then they all charge out looking for any birds on the ground but fortunately they have not yet been quick enough to get any .

Have any of your Cavaliers caught anything and eaten it ,I did recently read on one of the Yahoo Cavalier forums about a Cav that caught and devoured a grey squirrel tail and all .Its hard to imagine our sweet so loving Cavaliers reverting to wild Cavaliers but I know they would if they were quick enough.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to remember that Charlie, my first Cavalier, once caught a mouse - or to be more accurate, a mouse walked up to Charlie while he was dozing by the back door and more or less put himself into Charlie's mouth, so that when he woke up he closed his mouth and caught the mouse. I can't remember whether he killed it - I think I removed it from his mouth and let it go.

A friend's border collie (a real dope) once caught a mouse underneath the kitchen stove. Ever afterwards, if anybody said the m word, Alex would rush to the kitchen and poke his head under the stove, with the rest of him sticking out across the kitchen (where everybody tripped over him) and would stay there for hours if not driven away. So everyone in the house learnt to spell the m word and never say it. Who says border collies are super intelligent - obsessive is more like it!

Oliver chases pheasants (and rabbits) when out in the countryside, but takes no notice of the birds in the garden.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

To my horror, my youngest Cavalier and our Shiddy-monster have formed an "attack team" when they are let out into our field in the mornings. So far they have caught (and fatally injured) one female Pheasant, one young Song Thrush and one young Collared Dove.

Needless to say, this has not gone down too well in our ornithological household, so they are now banned from the field other than on their leads until we have done at least one circuit without them showing any interest in the hedge bottoms.

I've never had dogs which have shown the slightest interest in birds before, so this has been quite a shock and a steep learning curve. I have always suspected that Poppy might have something "other" in her ancestry (we think possibly Springer or Kooikerhondje) as she is long-legged, long-muzzled and super-energetic. I'm even more convinced of it now I've seen the way she "works" the hedges to flush birds - very disconcerting and also worrying from the point of view of the outbreeding debate currently going on if temperament is going to be changed as a result.
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtails View Post
    To my horror, my youngest Cavalier and our Shiddy-monster have formed an "attack team".
    I love it - Shiddy-monster!!!!!! I've never heard that term!

I have two shih tzu - almost 11 and 13 1/2 - and they are quite active and playful still. They play a lot with my young Cavalier girl who is 9 lbs so is just their size. Tucker is too regal and mature to play.

Trivia fact - the plural of shih tzu is shih tzu. Two tzu are still tzu!

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Holly is always running out into the garden when the peewee's start calling. She can't get out quick enough and Jasper follows her. But the funny thing is the are scared of feathers! How wired is that. They jump a mile if they see a feather while out walking. Unless I pick it up then Holly wants to eat it!
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like

When I did Discover Dogs at Crufts a few years ago, I overheard one of the other Cavalier people on the stand telling an enquirer (in all seriousness) that Cavaliers had been brought over from France by Charles II to hunt pigeons! So Marie-Anne's Poppy may just be a throwback to these hunting dogs! I don't think she necessarily has something else in her breeding - Cavaliers ARE spaniels, and can be trained as working gundogs (a friend of mine did it very successfully); Oliver never has his nose off the ground - he also air scents, and in his early obedience days by the end of a round could probably have told me the whereabouts of every bitch on the field! But I agree that a retired professor of ornithology owning a dog that kills birds is a little embarassing!!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

My lot charge down the garden scattering birds and Willow won't let them feed when she's pottering about the garden. I think it's really strange as inside my house is ruled by birds and the Amazon flies about and walks on the floor all the time and no one takes the slightest bit of notice [even lands on them or "preens" their fur!]. Odd critters
    Willow, Bertie & Finn [Blenheim & Tri Cavs],Eden [German Shepherd], Casper [BF Amazon], 2 ex-Bat Hens, 4 Cockatiels & a Barraband in a pear tree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I have two shih tzu - almost 11 and 13 1/2 - and they are quite active and playful still.

Trivia fact - the plural of shih tzu is shih tzu. Two tzu are still tzu!

Pat

Sounds like they are quite long-lived then, Pat - but glad to hear that yours are still active and playful at their ages. I "inherited" Lucy from an elderly friend who became very ill and eventually passed away. All my plans were to have 4 Cavaliers (one of each colour) and I'd even got as far as identifying the fourth (ex-breeding B/T) when Lucy arrived in our household. We love her to bits and she is absolutely inseparable from Poppy now, but I don't think I'll ever get as far as worrying what the plural of shih-tzu may be (if OH has his way at least!)

Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Kirra.would love the opportunity of capturing either a pheasant, rabbit or.squirrel
    However their speed allows the great.escape

I'm sure her dreams are of capturing one.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Chamberlain hasn't shown an interest in the birds in the backyard or bunnies that roam my neighborhood. Even if he picked up their scent, he would become distracted by dandelions seeds floating by! lol
    Mommy to....

Chamberlain (10 month Male Blenheim Cavalier)
    Sasha (6 year old Female Great Pyrennes)