• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I need advise on food.

luvhavinbgtwins

I dont want to change Rex's food yet, he has been on Royal Canin, but I have a $15 off Blue dry dog food.....

What do you think of that brand.,,,

Also what do you think of Iams....I know back in the day that was good...I want a good food for him but the prices off all the food seems to be getting so much higher.. What is out there that is good for them and good on the pocket book....Thanks so much.

I looked on the Blue website at the adult chicken and brown rice recipe. It looks to be a good food. I don't see byproducts or filler. I'd say it looks fine. Iams on the other hand is much lower quality. The second ingredient is chicken by product meal and the third is brewers rice, a poor quality by product.

Hello,

I don't know much about the Blue food, and as far as the Iams, I had always heard it was a good food, but I've also heard it's not so good anymore.

My "Bella" (she's almost 2) has been on Royal Canine,Purina Pro Plan for sensitive skin& stomach, and I just recently switched her over to Natural Balance-sweet potato and fish...I mix the dry formula and a small amount of the canned and she so far loves it. Its good for dogs with allergies,and can be good for sensitive stomachs too. It runs $12.98/5lb bag, and .98 for a 5oz can.

Good luck, I know it can be stressful choosing a food;)

Kristen

I feed my Yoko "Taste Of The Wild" High Praire Formula. This has bison and venison, potato, sweet potato, blueberry and no grains at all. Yoko had a bad problem with the pudding poops when we first got her and this was recommended to me and we switched her and it cleared it right up!!
She also love the food!

I feed my Yoko "Taste Of The Wild" High Praire Formula. This has bison and venison, potato, sweet potato, blueberry and no grains at all. Yoko had a bad problem with the pudding poops when we first got her and this was recommended to me and we switched her and it cleared it right up!!
She also love the food!

I also feed Taste of the Wild with excellent results.

I have fed Bella and Koda Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice for about 8 months. I am very happy with it. My girls love it. I researched it before I decided on it. I didn't find anything negative about it. They have several flavors. Just try it an see!(y)

Food is definitely a touchy subject.

I personally feed all raw/natural diet but obviously not everyone has time for that. As for dog foods, if I was going to feed dog food, I would feed Nutro Max, Blue buffalo, Wellness.

If you want to know what's in food and what a general rating for it, there's a site called www.dogfoodanalysis.com and it basically has a little something on every food and a star rating too.

Blue Buffalo

We feed the Lamb and Brown Rice Formula of Blue Buffalo. My dogs were very finicky eaters before and now they can't wait to eat!

I've been using Royal Canin since getting Rudy (small breed version). Over the last few months, I've been alternating with Halo but since it has to be ordered, it's easy to keep the RC on hand if I run out - it's carried by my local pet shop. He seems to like both equally well. Evenings I mix a tablespoon or two of the wet Halo w/his kibble...he loves that and looks forward to dinnertime!

I used to feed all of our dogs Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal & Rice - it has no wheat, no corn, no barley, no bi-products at all. Our boxer was allergic to wheat, and all of the dogs get VERY gassy if the food has barley. Unfortunately a lot of the really fancy dog foods have barley in them, which I think is weird, it's not very digestable, my dogs also pooped more when we tried a food with barley. Anyway, when Nutro got very expensive (remember we have to feed 5 dogs!) we then switched to a food very similar called Exclusive, you can only get it at a country/feed store about 10 - 15 minutes from my house. It is chicken, but had no corn, wheat, barley, etc. In the Exclusive Lamb there is barley for some reason so that was out. So far they have been doing very well on the Exclusive. Alice still being a puppy eats a mixture of Nature's Recipe Lamb & Rice (can get it at Petsmart) with a little Exclusive mixed in. For some reason she has always liked the adult food better and won't touch the puppy unless some adult food is mixed in. :rolleyes: We have tried a lot of foods with Alice since she was so picky, but now she eats these two foods really well so we haven't tried anything else lately. Nature's recipe seems to be a pretty good brand that is not too expensive, although I confess I have not tried Royal Canine ever with any of our dogs, but I have heard good things about it.... Best of luck, hopefully Rex will not be as picky about food as Alice has been!

Tawna

Thanks I will have to look at that site to see what I want to do
Yes Rex does seem to be a somewhat picky eater...he still doesnt really like treats either...

Tawna, what country/feed store are you talking about????? I might have to ck that out...I do know there is a feed store out by me and one in Wentzvile off Hwy N.

Thanks

Royal Canin is great stuff, and there are so many varieties that there is sure to be one to suit you!

I have no experience with "Blue" so cannot comment on it but Iams is only a so so food so I would recommend you to stick to the Royal Canin over this (y)

Well its been just a few days but Rex will not touch the Blue food at all...he just pushes it around and eats his Royal...I got the chicken....

I am still trying to figure out what I want him on, I emailed a few companys and they are going to send me a few samples to that is great I can see what he might eat...so for now I got another bag of Royal..

I did go out and priced a few at my local stores...
I think its now around these.

Taste of Wild (but there is no puppy)
Nutro Max
Natural Balance
Exclusive

I couldnt find the others that where talked about here...

I really liked the price on a few...so if there are others that are good please let me know..
Thanks so much,,,I am still looking and trying to figure out what I need to look for and what not to feed him.:)

It isn't neccessary for a food to be formulated for a puppy specifically as long as it is designed for "all life stages". All of Taste of the Wild's formulas are designed for all life stages (you can see their website)

I'm thinking the best out of all of those is Taste of the Wild. I looked up the ingredients and they look pretty good. I always look at the first 5 ingredients to make sure none of them say anything weird like "animal by products" and such on.

I've never heard of Exclusive so I have nothing to say on that one.

But Nutro Max (Nutro Ultra for small breeds is the better version of that) is decent.

Thank you ...it seemed like Taste of Wild wasnt real bad in price either..it was cheaper than Royal..

If you go with Taste of the Wild, I have found it available at more stores than their website has listed. My local Tractor Supply carries it for $41.00 for a 35 lb bag (which is what I have to buy since I am also feeding two big dogs...it lasts about a week and a half). The website doesn't list Tractor Supply as a retailer, however. If I only went by where they have it listed, I'd be driving twice as far to go get it.

Thanks I found at the petstore I go to alot They had Taste of Wild
21.99 for 15lbs I didnt see anything larger but I am sure they do...

They have Nutro Max for $30.99 for 35lbs also...not sure what I want to go with yet..just want it to be good for him.

I still am trying to learn to read what is I should be really looking for that is good and not good..LOL!!!

Thanks I found at the petstore I go to alot They had Taste of Wild
21.99 for 15lbs I didnt see anything larger but I am sure they do...

They have Nutro Max for $30.99 for 35lbs also...not sure what I want to go with yet..just want it to be good for him.

I still am trying to learn to read what is I should be really looking for that is good and not good..LOL!!!

If you can get samples, that would be good. I like to rotate between maybe 3 dog foods, changing every 6 weeks or so, and I bought a 35 lb bag of Nutro...and the only one of my dogs that would eat it is Kaya, and she is a pig who will eat anything. I wish I'd known they wouldn't like it.
When I brought home the Taste of the Wild, the dogs were going wild and could hardly wait for me to open the bag. I guess they could really smell the meat. They were acting like they do when I open a package of chicken or steak.

I also have fed Taste of the Wild since it first came out a year or two ago. It does seem to have great ingredients. Right now I am feeding her Roasted Wild Salmon formula, which is the one I usually use because it is the lowest of the 3 varieties in calories.

I also rotate between Halo Spot's Stew, Wellness Healthy Weight, and Merrick (can't remember the variety name). I've also fed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and Cesar's dog food. All are holistic, organic, etc. She used to be pretty picky, but now she seems to eat anything I put in front of her.

I have 2 fosters right now who were on Eukanuba Senior and I'm slowly transitioning them to the Taste of the Wild salmon variety, too. I don't know how long they have been on the Eukanuba, so I'm taking it kind of slow. It doesn't look terrible, ingredient-wise, but it seems like other foods are better.

Back