• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dandruff

Masterofsparks

Well first off we do live in the desert so it is dry here......but Yoko seems to be having just a little problem with dandruff! Now to be fair it's been over two weeks since I have been able to bathe her due to her spay surgery. We brush her almost daily, and I add salmon oil to her food almost on a daily basis. She is shedding more than usual I think due to her longer hair growing in (she is 7 months old) and I can deal with the shedding as I am sure it will become more moderate as the season move on. Does anyone have any ideas or will this just pass?

Make sure that when you do bathe her that you rinse her really, really well. Any soap or conditioner not rinsed out will dry the skin and cause it to flake. You might want to try Isle of Dogs shampoo (IOdogs.com). It is pricey, but really good. I use the number 10 (very moisturizing) and the number 51 conditioner when needed, though they really don't need conditioner much b/c the shampoo is so moisturizing. Bandit and Lizzie never have dandruff anymore. I bathe them about once a week with the Isle of Dogs.
Like Holly said, you might want to put her on a grain free food if the shampoo doesn't work. I feed Taste of the Wild (I get it at Tractor Supply) and it is grain free.

Make sure that when you do bathe her that you rinse her really, really well. Any soap or conditioner not rinsed out will dry the skin and cause it to flake. You might want to try Isle of Dogs shampoo (IOdogs.com). It is pricey, but really good. I use the number 10 (very moisturizing) and the number 51 conditioner when needed, though they really don't need conditioner much b/c the shampoo is so moisturizing. Bandit and Lizzie never have dandruff anymore. I bathe them about once a week with the Isle of Dogs.
Like Holly said, you might want to put her on a grain free food if the shampoo doesn't work. I feed Taste of the Wild (I get it at Tractor Supply) and it is grain free.

I also feed Yoko "Taste of the Wild" High Prarie and she loves it.......as summer is starting to hit here and the temps are up combined with what seems to be her longer hair starting to grow in I have just noticed the dandruff. I actually just bathed her about a half an hour ago and BOY was there a storm of loose hair! She is shedding like crazy! Is this normal when going from say puppy hair to the longer more adult hair starting to grow in? I bought a Furrminator on advice from another thread on here and it sure removed a LOT of hair! I will check out the shampoo though I don't mind spending a few dollars more on anything that works! Thanks for the tip!

Are you using a regular flea treatment such as Frontline or Advocate? When we first got Sally she had 'walking dandruff' and a good bath and dose of Advocate sorted it out. We've never had a problem since. Hope this dandruff disappears soon

Back