• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harleys gone turbo

harleyfarley

Since Harleys been on Rimadyl he has changed somewhat, where we walk on a public footpath its wide and very open, there is a nearby farmhouse with out buildings and several nature reserves where dogs are not permitted. Bare in mind we have walked along here twice a day some days esp in the last three months more so than before and then prob a couple of times a week weather permitting. In the past to be honest if Harley was to stay any closer to me i would have tripped over him, he wouldnt go near other dogs or with people he likes to say hello but your not allowed to touch. Now, and esp in the last week, ive lost him twice, he just runs off regardless to my shouting and screaming at him, he has been in the farmhouses garden and even on the boat on the lake, he has terrified most of the wildlife at the nature reserve. He does stop and look at me, that look says it all, "who are you" or "yea, whatever", to make matter worse you can see a road whichever direction you look in, several fields away, needless to say he had scared the life out of me.
I hate to keep him on the lead as he loves to run, but thats what ive resorted to, hopefully he will calm down. di

I'd take it as a good sign that you are finally seeing his personality. He must be out of pain and finally doing what he would have loved to do all along. You might find it is time for some thorough recall training!

Di,
I think you're wise to keep him on a lead at the moment........at least he's still having a good walk and thats the important thing.:p
Mel

Sounds like Harley is having a whale of a time, had to laugh about "going on the boat on the lake", although I can appreciate his antics won`t be a joke for you.

When Casey went on Rimadyl she started acting like a pup again too. It made me so sad because I kept thinking "OMG, you mean she really isn't the lazy bump-on-a-log dog I thought she had grown into?!" She was just in pain and had no desire to be active because it didn't feel good. That's why it's so important to educate yourself about SM...the symptoms can be so slight that the way a dog is acting could simply be passed off as their personality instead of pain...

When Casey went on Rimadyl she started acting like a pup again too. It made me so sad because I kept thinking "OMG, you mean she really isn't the lazy bump-on-a-log dog I thought she had grown into?!" She was just in pain and had no desire to be active because it didn't feel good. That's why it's so important to educate yourself about SM...the symptoms can be so slight that the way a dog is acting could simply be passed off as their personality instead of pain...

That is exactly the point a human sufferer was making in a letter she wrote to Dog World this week ( She was replying to last week's suggestion that the effects of SM in cavaliers was being exaggerated )
It was a long & very interesting letter, from someone with no connection with the breed, and she says...." The pain associated with a syrinx ( even in its mildest form ) is extremely wearing and my greatest way of coping is to rest and sleep for much longer than normal"

There is another letter where a cavalier owner describes their four year old 'Harry Hill' as lethargic, miserable, and reluctant to move out of his bed.

The symptoms of SM are so varied, and so easily remain unnoticed.

Margaret C

Yes it does go to prove how much discomfort he was in generally, and just thought he was getting lazy and older so slowing down, im glad i found out now and not in a few years time when all this time would have been wasted.
He still sleeps a lot though, di

Back