• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Omeprazole/Furosemide?

Kathleen

Which of these two drugs is better and can they both be used at the same time? I am not sure why Omeprazole is prescribed for SM when it is normally used for gastric disorders. Can anyone give me some more info?:confused:Thanks!!!

It would be a good idea to talk to your neurologist for an explanation of how these drugs work. In general, they are all drugs created for another reason but also have the affect of lowering CSF pressure which can help SM dogs be more comfortable. There's also some info on www.sm.cavaliertalk.com and www.cavalierhealth,com.

You wouldn't give them both as far as I know -- they both do the same thing. There are several other drugs as well in the same category. For example I use cimetidine.

Sometimes one works better than another or one is preferred by a neurologist for various reasons or an owner due to side affects from one of the other options -- this is really a decision that should be taken in consultation with the neurologist to make the best choice for an individual dog. (y)

Back