• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A silly question about males

Love my Cavaliers

Is cocking the leg to pee instinctual in males or is it a learned behavior? For example, if male dogs are reared with only females and are never socialized with other males will they still start cocking their leg or will they just always squat to pee because they've learned that from females? I think I must have had too much time on my hands today to come up with this question!

lol Bev. Both of my boys--Winston 7 and Bentley 1 both squat so I don't know. I think I heard it has to do with neutering or something.

I wish someone would teach Lucky so he wouldn't pee on himself when he lifts his leg. :rotfl:

Seriously, Sparky squats, but he's was neutered fairly young ... we think. He's a mill rescue and I'd guess he was 10 months when neutered. My sister's dog is 4 and he's never cocked his leg. I think it has to do with the age at which they are neutered, although that's not 100% either as I've heard of dogs who have been neutered young still eventually lifting their legs

I am of the opinion that it is instinct. My first dog we got when I was a child was an "only dog" and his leg hiking started about the time he became sexually mature though he had no other dog to teach him.
My wolf, Maicoh, was born completely blind and he didn't have any trouble hiking though he never saw another dog do it. Dogs neutered prior to sexual maturity seem to squat more than they do hike.

I have heard that a neutered male prior to maturity will squat but that is just what I have heard and not from any real authority!!
My last dog Einstine always squatted but we neutered him as soon as recommended.

Our foster dog lifts his leg, Prince squats to pee and Belle used to squat but lately I have caught her lifting her leg to pee! Not sure what that is about :confused:

One if my boys was neutered young and was only ever around ladies but he cocks his leg to pee (quite dramatically - mid air split!), very rarely he will not raise his leg but this is only when he wants to pee on something on the ground (and even then he will usually cock the leg to do that!). What I have noticed though is that he has great aim - I don't think he has even dribbled on himself since he get the hang of it ;) I have an 8 month old at the moment who was neutered about a month ago wh makes attempts to cock his leg but generally pees by just standing there, no squatting or cocking. When he does try the leg cock he tends to pee on himself so if he wants to just stand and pee that's fine with me (y)

My Golden was neutered young and almost never cocked his leg. So far Max has not either (he was neutered a month ago at six months). I'm hoping he doesn't learn actually.

Just to throw in something different, our mill rescue Yorky was 8 when she was spayed. Now she will raise her leg and mark all the time when out for a walk.

Both our boys were neutered young. I've never seen Beauregard hike his leg; Elvis will occasionally. The only other male they've been around was our Saint Bernard, Dillon, who had terrible leg problems and only rarely did it.

My Ben is not neutered and occasionally squats especially when he is in the garden

My dad claims that he taught Miles to lift his leg :rolleyes: He watched him (Miles was about 8 months old at the time) for 10 days when I was on vacation and when I dropped him off he was a squatter, and when I came home he was a lifter! They don't have a dog so either it was a total coincidence or my dad really did teach him! Truman grew up with Miles so he started lifting his leg earlier, but he still occasionally squats. Miles never squats anymore.

We have 2 male dogs, a Westie who is 8 and a Schnoodle who is 4.... they were both neutered at 4 or 5 months of age and have always squatted like girls, or really stand, there is only a little squat involved... :rolleyes:
But, I am firmly convinced that they can learn to hike their legs from seeing other males do it. We take them to a dog park occasionally and they will sometimes see males lifting their legs there, then we see them lifting their legs either while we are there or for a few days when we are back at home. Also my dad visited us many years ago with his male dog who lifted his leg, and my boys copied that for a few days after too! Another strange thing, out two big female dogs, an Irish Setter & a Goldendoodle, well, the Goldendoodle will pee and then the Irish Setter will go and pee over it in the same spot! Some type of dominance marking? Thank goodness no one has accidents in the house! ;)

Tawna

When we brought Lucky home from the breeder he was a squater, and always did. Then on Thanksgiving Day, (he was exactly 6 months old) I took him to my parents for dinner (he had been there before on many occasions) and he started marking their house with his leg lifted!!!! I was heart broken, he was acting "boyish"!! So I called the vet, had him neutered.....he's squatted ever since and doesn't mark ANYTHING!!! He sniffs others pee but then just walks by it. I had a Cavi meet up at my house about 2 weekends ago, there were 9 other cavis in "his" backyard....peeing EVERYWHERE and he didn't mind and didn't mark his territory! I believe there is something to be said for neutering and getting rid of "male" behaviors!

My OH said that his converstation makes him hurt. He says that he understands females and how female humans get their tubes done, but that he would never get himself done. Well he doesn't know it yet, but he is gonna be on the couch tonight.

This question came to mind because I was out walking Oz in a neighborhood without sidewalks. The home owners line their properties with large rocks so that cars don't go on the grass. The rocks are typically placed about 5-10 feet apart. During our walk, Oz had to lift his leg and try to pee on every one!!! At home however, in our back yard, both he and Oliver typically just stand and lean forward a little when they pee. Also, like Tawna's goldendoodle and setter, my girls will pee right on each other's spots - always.

My spayed female Kaya marks big time, even occasionally lifting her leg to pee on a vertical object. Funny thing is, I also owned her grandmother, and she used to do the same thing!

Back