Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Cavs have a spot under there front arms that is tender?

Post Thanks / Like

are there test to see if they have or can get it???

I need to read more into I guess..now this scares me...
    why does this happen and is it only w/cav's?

Also what is the rish if you have a cav from a same breeder???? My freind have 2 that are 6 and 7 from the same breeder no prob. like sm that I am awhere of but I am going to be calling her today and talking to her about this.?????
    Last edited by luvhavinbgtwins; 6th May 2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add more

Proud Mom of Boy/Girl Twins..."Brandon & Brianna"
    Now a Proud Mom of our New Puppy
    Born 1/1/2009 "Rex"

Post Thanks / Like

For starters, read Karlin's info site here:
    http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

Also, go to the health library and there are quite a few articles and informative links there. I do hope you are not dealing with this problem.
    At present, the only surefire way to test for it is an MRI scan. Otherwise, vets have to go on symptoms. You would be the best one to monitor for those symptoms since you are around him all the time. There are quite a few people on here dealing with this troubling problem. There is a whole section for SM and MVD posts. You might browse thru those threads and read up on other posters journeys with SM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this is definitely an SM symptom, but for what it's worth, Mags scanned clear and she won't tolerate being touched in that area either.

She can really yelp, especially when she is surprised.

She gets some bad matting under her front legs and it is really tricky to keep her calm and work them out. I usually have to cut them out and fast, because she just gets so annoyed.

Post Thanks / Like

Anna has a spot at the base of her sternum that she can't stand to be touched. It was explained to me by my vet as being kinda like a ticklish spot that doesn't agree with her. My armpits are ticklish so i'd think their's are to?

Post Thanks / Like

Daisy has always been this way, too. My family has all had the Daisy-picking-up lesson on how to pick her up so she doesn't yelp so it doesn't happen much anymore. It worries me, but she doesn't show any other SM-type symptoms so I'm trying not to dwell on the possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you..I feel better...still worried but better...I am hopeing for the best for everyone...

Proud Mom of Boy/Girl Twins..."Brandon & Brianna"
    Now a Proud Mom of our New Puppy
    Born 1/1/2009 "Rex"

Post Thanks / Like

While she's so wee I wouldn't worry unduly at this point - just be aware. Both of mine yelped regularly as pups at random things - most especially being lifted 'wrong' and this stopped as they matured. However, my two have NOT been scanned, so this may be an SM symptom. On the other hand, Holly is nearly 6 and Amber almost 3 so if they are SM dogs (realistically, they probably are) they are either asymptomatic or as near as makes no difference.

Basically, I'm trying to say: train everyone you know on the correct way to lift a pup (even a verbal cue can help the pup prepare itself for liftoff; I always held the pup for a second before actually lifting it up and that seemed to stop the squeaks and yelps...). Read up on SM - but most importantly, enjoy your pup. Statistically I believe the chances of SM showing up on such a young pup are small.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Kingstons does the SAME thing. He squeals if any pressure is applied to his armpits. I have to warn his groomers and daycare providers to pick him up VERY carefully. He's three years old and I suppose time will tell if it's SM related, but I pray it's not.