Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many Cavs reverse sneeze???

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many Cavs reverse sneeze???

Hello all, I was reading some pasts post about reverse sneezing and it seems pretty common amoung cavs I guess.... My hubby has been wanting me to post asking about how many other cavaliers reverse sneeze, and does it get less frequent as they are older? Alice is about 6 months now and she does it sometimes when she gets too excited. (In reading the old posts I saw the "tilting head down" remedy, I'm going to try that next time..)

Strangely my Westie only reverse sneezes if he has been exposed to kennel cough at a boarding place we used to take him too, which I thought was really weird. (My two bigger dogs got kennel cough a couple of times from being boarded there, even though they were vaccinated. Needless to say we don't take them there any more, my mother usually comes and stays now....)

Please respond if your dog reverse sneezes, I am curious to know how many cavs do this, thanks so much!!!

Tawna

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tawna

Rosie only does this occasionally now - when she first did it, I was really worried and didn't know what to do. But afterwards, she was her usual self and thought she deserved a treat!!! Then I found this forum and found out what it was. She went through a phase of reverse sneezing every two or three weeks for a few months, then didn't for ages.

Now, she will reverse sneeze once every two or three months. It doesn't bother me when it happens, I just cover her nose and tilt her head forwards until she stops. Fortunately, she doesn't mind me doing this as she knows this is helping her.

Strangely, the majority of times when she does this is either when I'm straightening my hair before leaving for work and she's lying on the sofa watching me or in the middle of the night! In her case, it doesn't seem to be excitement that's setting it off.

One time she reversed sneezed when we were out on a walk in the local forest and I knelt down next to her whilst tiling her head forward - boy did I get some funny looks from other walkers. They must have thought I was trying to choke her

My mum used to have a B&T cavalier (now at the bridge). When I told her about Rosie's reverse sneezing, she said that her Sophie used to do it as well.
    Sarah

Mum of Rosie (tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my girls reverse sneeze, but I have never heard either of my boys do it. The frequency has definitely lessened as they have gotten older. Riley is 6, Madison is 7.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

All three of mine do it, although the girls seem to more often than Quincy.
    Autumn7yrs, at the bridge loving all the sounds
    Belle 6yrs, at the bridge tirelessly chasing butterflies
    Brandi 7yrs, Quincy 7yrs, and Irie 10 months

Post Thanks / Like

Both Dixie, my cavalier, and Cleo, my pug do it occasionally. I don't worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 boys reverse sneeze! They both do it when they get excited, especially Miles...people kind of look at him weird, and then I tilt his head down and it stops...they're my little piggies
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

mine both do it when they get excited. Bandit will also pull his leash and do it then (although he pulls when excited, so that might be the real cause). They don't do it a whole lot, but they usually do it when I least want them to!

Post Thanks / Like

Mindy does but Max doesn't (at least not yet).

Post Thanks / Like

I guess Yoko doesn't do it, so I have to ask a question...what is a reverse sneeze? Is it like a snort or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofsparks View Post
    I guess Yoko doesn't do it, so I have to ask a question...what is a reverse sneeze? Is it like a snort or something?
    Yes, it is also called snorting. Neither of mine started to do it until they were about 6 months old or maybe even a little older for Bandit.