• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How many Cavs reverse sneeze???

AliceAbbyBellaDaphne

Hello all, I was reading some pasts post about reverse sneezing and it seems pretty common amoung cavs I guess.... My hubby has been wanting me to post asking about how many other cavaliers reverse sneeze, and does it get less frequent as they are older? Alice is about 6 months now and she does it sometimes when she gets too excited. (In reading the old posts I saw the "tilting head down" remedy, I'm going to try that next time..)

Strangely my Westie only reverse sneezes if he has been exposed to kennel cough at a boarding place we used to take him too, which I thought was really weird. (My two bigger dogs got kennel cough a couple of times from being boarded there, even though they were vaccinated. Needless to say we don't take them there any more, my mother usually comes and stays now....)

Please respond if your dog reverse sneezes, I am curious to know how many cavs do this, thanks so much!!!

Tawna

Hi Tawna

Rosie only does this occasionally now - when she first did it, I was really worried and didn't know what to do. But afterwards, she was her usual self and thought she deserved a treat!!! Then I found this forum and found out what it was. She went through a phase of reverse sneezing every two or three weeks for a few months, then didn't for ages.

Now, she will reverse sneeze once every two or three months. It doesn't bother me when it happens, I just cover her nose and tilt her head forwards until she stops. Fortunately, she doesn't mind me doing this as she knows this is helping her.

Strangely, the majority of times when she does this is either when I'm straightening my hair before leaving for work and she's lying on the sofa watching me or in the middle of the night! In her case, it doesn't seem to be excitement that's setting it off.

One time she reversed sneezed when we were out on a walk in the local forest and I knelt down next to her whilst tiling her head forward - boy did I get some funny looks from other walkers. They must have thought I was trying to choke her :eek:

My mum used to have a B&T cavalier (now at the bridge). When I told her about Rosie's reverse sneezing, she said that her Sophie used to do it as well.

Both of my girls reverse sneeze, but I have never heard either of my boys do it. The frequency has definitely lessened as they have gotten older. Riley is 6, Madison is 7.

Both Dixie, my cavalier, and Cleo, my pug do it occasionally. I don't worry about it.

My 2 boys reverse sneeze! They both do it when they get excited, especially Miles...people kind of look at him weird, and then I tilt his head down and it stops...they're my little piggies :D

mine both do it when they get excited. Bandit will also pull his leash and do it then (although he pulls when excited, so that might be the real cause). They don't do it a whole lot, but they usually do it when I least want them to!

I guess Yoko doesn't do it, so I have to ask a question...what is a reverse sneeze? Is it like a snort or something?

I guess Yoko doesn't do it, so I have to ask a question...what is a reverse sneeze? Is it like a snort or something?
Yes, it is also called snorting. Neither of mine started to do it until they were about 6 months old or maybe even a little older for Bandit.

they're my little piggies :D

My lady is called "piggie" in our house - she snorts about the place (esp when she is on the hunt for food) and generally acts like a pig! She also reverse sneezes a bit, usually after eating her food too fast or when she is playing with the others. My Cav boy hasn't done it yet, but he is still a baby so only time will tell.

Mine nearly always does it the first few yards of a walk but only lasts a few seconds then she calms down a bit...

They don't do it a whole lot, but they usually do it when I least want them to!

Yes, exactly! Like when we go into someone's house, when we go to the vet's office, the dog park, any gathering with lots of people, etc. I think people think she's deathly ill. I try to explain, but lots of them look at me like I've just brought a leperous dog in their midst! Very embarrassing. (However, not quite as embarrassing as when she goes ballistic upon seeing another dog on a walk, I have to admit. )

My boy used to do it occasionaly especially when he got excited on walks, he has done quite a few embarrasing things, like bark like mad and big dogs (like German Shepherds) acting like he is a tough guy when he is actually a big wimp:) he also does`nt like black dogs, thank goodness he has mellowed a lot over the years.

Jake rarely does it anymore and Shelby does it when she gets really excited. Jake does not like it when Shelby snorts!! He looks at her really intently and will stare at her until she stops. If it last a little longer he will go over and nose her.

Had a dog do it at the health clinic. The owner didn't know what was going on and picked his dog up around her body and started shaking her :eek: he thought she was choking. Luckily there were about 30 Cavalier people standing there :D and someone explained to him what was happening and how to stop it.

ONly one of mine do this...Lucie who is 3yrs.Sasha my pup is 11 mths and hasnt done it yet.
I must admit it scared the cr*p out of me when Lucie first did it....I thought she was having an asthma attack :lol:
A fellow cav owner seen it happen too and casually said....Yeah mine does that too its fine!
I thought my dog was going to die :eek:....its scary to see!
Thankfully now i dont panic!:lol:

My Riley reverse sneezes every so often and like most, when he gets very excited. I didn't know what was happening the first few times. How do stop it or make it better for them. I usually just massage his throat. Would someone explain about covering their nose?? Maybe I have been doing the wrong thing.:-?
Pat & Riley ( 2 1/2 yr. old male B&T) New Jersey

Pippin never has, but Maddie used to do it almost every day, when excited (and the whole world was ana exciting place :D). She now only does it once every 3 months or so.

There's a man who walks a blenheim boy round here who's about the same age as Maddie (4 yrs) and last year they got so excited at seeing each other that they were both reverse sneezing. His dog had never done it before so I'm hanging on to Pippin, who looked bemused, tilting Maddie's head down and covering her nose, while trying to explain to the man what his dog was doing and what he should do about it. An elderly couple walking a border collie the other side of the road gave us the funniest look, don't know why? :D;)

Back