• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much do you feed your pups?

NEVER FOLLOW THE AMOUNTS ON THE BAG!!!!! You will have an obese dog in NO TIME.

If I remember correctly, I was feeding 1/2 cup x 3 times a day until about 4 months, then went to 2/3 cup twice a day until about 6 months old, then down to 1/2 c twice a day at 8 months. At about 9-12 months, you have to judge your dog's frame and weight to experiment with the "perfect" amount. They *should* be thin with an obvious waist after their puppyhood.

Here is what I feed mine now:
6 YO Casey- 1/3 c twice a day (2/3 c total) 25 pounds
3 YO Winston- 2/3 c in the am, 1/2 c pm (1 1/4 c total)- 32 pounds
2 YO Ollie- 1/2 c twice a day (1 c total)- 20 pounds

All have different energy levels. If I feed Winn 1/2c twice a day, he loses weight and is too skinny, hence the extra in the morning.

Ollie is super skinny and lanky and very active and remains at his ideal weight at 1/2 c.

Casey is LAAAAAAZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYY and can put on the weight, so she eats the least amount. I probably could take hers down a little more, but we're happy here for now. She is not losing or gaining.

Winn & Ollie are THIN, which is what they should be. Casey could stand to lose one more pound, but I've quit worrying too much over it.

My dogs are from 11 1/2 pounds (7 month pup) to 21 pounds. They eat from 1/2 to just over 3/4 a cup/day (split into two meals). I have two that need to lose about a pound. I have two that could gain a bit-- the rest are spot on for weight. -- I agree - don't follow the bag, remember they make money selling the food. The faster you go through it, the more they sell.

so do you think 1/2 a cup twice a day is to much or to little for Rex? (total 1cup per day)

That is what they where feeding at 3 months and it just seems that they boys wants more but I dont want to over feed.

Last edited:
so do you think 1/2 a cup twice a day is to much or to little for Rex? (total 1cup per day)

That is what they where feeding at 3 months and it just seems that they boys wants more but I dont want to over feed.

Until they are full grown, I feed pups as much as they want. They usually burn off all the calories fast. I'd feed a pup under 6 months about 1/2 or just under 2x/day

Good question. I keep wondering if I'm feeding Quincy the right amount. He's 4 1/2 months old and already weighs 13 pounds. He's not chubby at all, just very long and tall. (His parents were pretty small, so I thought for sure he'd be small too!) Anyway, the breeder told me to feed him 1/3 cup, 3x a day until he's 6 months, and then 1/2 cup, 2x a day (always 1 cup a day, just split up differently). Does this seem right? :confused::confused:

So whats the differ. between feeding 2x or 3x aday...I have always feed my dogs 2x aday....unless they where sick..

The younger the dog- the more often I feed them. At 8 weeks they eat 4-5 times a day. 12 weeks 3-4 times a day- 16 weeks 2-3 times a day

I feed my two 1/3-1/2 cup 2x a day. If they act like they are starving in the am :rolleyes: (yeah right), I will give them 1/2 cup. My vet says they are both at a great weight feeding this way.

Max is pretty big too - being over 18 pounds at 7 months old. He's just gotten taller than Mindy though, and he is certainly longer. Mindy is at the top end of the breed standard for height. Both of his parents are about 12 inches shoulder height and 15 pounds. Per the breeders instructions I had been feeding him 1/2 cup twice a day but I've recently cut down to 3/8 cup twice a day. He doesn't seem to be starving - he does get kibble as training treats though so he probably is getting closer to 1/2 cup per feed with that taken into account.

I have a 18 week Tricolour Bitch called Poppy Ruby. She is very fickle with her food at the moment. We feed her 3 times per day, its an ice cream scoop of dry food for each meal. She is eating very little at the moment, i have just reay another thread about feeding problems so going to try and stick to what they have adivsed.
Poppy is 18 weeks and weights only 2.5kg (5.5lbs), she was the runt of the litter. What weight should she be? Vet doesnt seem concerned about her weight.
Louise

Alice is offered as much as will fit in the little bowls we bought her... I'm guessing a cup maybe? Sometimes she only eats some of it, other times all of it... We feed her twice a day, although we used to do three times when she was really little. Sometimes she finishes the bowl but then won't touch it at the next meal, I would guess most days she eats about a cup, I guess I should measure it and be more exact.....icon_nwunsureShe'll ALWAYS come running when she hears the lid of the glass treat jar though, so I can see how they could become overweight as adults.... :rolleyes:

Tawna

Poppy Ruby; Our now 10 month old Abigail weighed 4 pounds at 10 weeks and got to 10 pounds by the time she was 6 months. Now she is about 12i/2 lbs.

She was one of 2 in a litter and our vet said that she will only be 13 or 14 pounds. I remember that from 10 weeks until 2 months later she only gained 2 pounds.So I wouldn't worry about your pup's size.

We add a little cooked sweet potato to each meal and she loves it. We cool ahead and warm in microwave.

Heather R

Back