• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Slimy stool (sorry!)

Love my Cavaliers

For the past two nights Riley has had to go outside 2-3 times. Each time she had pretty formed stools but they looked very slimy - almost as if they were covered in colorless mucus. After the first night, I just watched her most of the day and she was fine so I thought what ever it was had passed. However, then 2 times out last night, and then this morning Oliver had a very slimy, mucusy stool also. For both dogs, the stool is formed, not diarrhea, but it is softer than normal. I took stool samples into the vet today but was just curious if anyone knew anything about what this might be. Appetites and energy level are fine for both of them. And Oliver knew I was taking Riley out last night at 1 and 4 a.m. and he didn't even attempt to get up to go, so his is not as urgent as her feeling is. Any thoughts?

Mine have this on and off -- maybe a different food or snack? I've never been too concerned.

It does happen and usually has no significance, may be just something they ate or a very minor tummy upset.
If I have any doubts about their digestion because of soft mucousy stools, one-off bout of sickness, or gurgling tummy, I usually give them a bland meal ( my standby is a tin of Denes senior, lamb,chicken & rice ) and watch to see how they go.

Margaret C

The mucus is a normal lining of the gut. Something has happened to disrupt the balance. Do you have prozyme or some other healthy bacteria/enzyme additive? Can you feed him something soft and easy to digest for a day or two. Usually that is all it takes for things to get back into balance.

My Harley and Ebony get it when they eat rice. I was very surprised as rice is supposed to be very bland. Maybe it’s to starchy?

Mine have had this every once in a while and I never worried about it...

My situation, as well. I don't know if it made a difference, but I started giving him a tablespoon of yoghurt (spelling) once a week, and it's been a long while since he's had slimy stools. I gave the yoghurt not because of the stools,but because I read it was generally good for their digestive system.

Back