• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding habits?

Danni

Hi. I'm new, getting an 18 month old, male, cavalier king charles in July.

Just curious about the best way to feed them . what brands of food? mixing in vegtables? how often? how much?

Lots of basic feeding info needed please :)

Do you know the weight of the dog and the condition (slim, average, overweight)?

I feed mine dry food (two eat Orijen Adult, and the other eats Natural Balance chicken formula) in the morning and at night. About 1/2 cup per feeding (one gets less than that, one gets slightly more than that). Sometimes I add in some frozen or fresh veggies like carrots, brocc, green beans, etc. but usually not.

My only advice is to buy the best food you can afford and one that can't be purchased at the grocery store. The difference in coat, condition, and quality of poops is amazing!

Post pics when you get him!

I don't know his size yet, seeing him for the first time this weekend :)

We go to PAH and Jollies regularly for supplies for our other pets, and buy in bulk - so we get the best quality foods cheaper. Planning the same thing with Mack.

Thank you for the info about the amounts and the veg, I've been reading up on the health problems associated with these beautiful dogs, although Mack is now healthy, I'll be keeping a good eye on his weight, never know what health issues might pop up in future and I want him as healthy as possible.

Any more tips? keep them coming :)

Since different dog foods have different amounts of calories, I tried to calculate how many calories I feed each of my cavaliers to maintain their lean weights.

I feed my female cavaliers about approximately 220 - 240 calories per day; and my male gets approx. 265 calories per day to maintain their weight (they are all lean.)

This includes about 1/4 measuring cup of food twice a day for the girls, and 1/3 measuring cup of food twice daily for the boy; it also includes one fish oil soft gel, 1/2 of a Wellness bar treat, and 1 measuring teaspoon of raw wheat germ per dog per day.

They also get bits of raw fruits and vegetables daily and a small bully stick to chew every other day, but don't know how many calories are in these items.

Back