• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weeing overnight

Dublin

I dont know what im doing wrong but almost every night one or both (I assume) dogs wee overnight. They are fine when left during the day but overnight seem to be 'caught short'.

They are walked every morning & almost every night, let out for wee's when we come home from work & I make sure they go wee's after their dinner, at least once during the evening & right before I go to bed (around 11-12pm). They're allways tired when they go to bed so I cant see what the problem is.

This has been going on a while now (since toilet training for Sparky was well over) & it's doing my head in!

I changed the way I feed them as I thought giving them dry food at night may be causing them to want a big drink & then they need to go so now they have dry in the mornings & raw at night.

Any ideas??

(oh they've both been to the vet since this started & they are both fully healthy - they did think possibly as Cassie is getting old perhaps she was 'leaking' but as they're dry during the day that was pretty much ruled out)

You could take the water away at say 9pm.Archie is over a yr old and he peed in the house the other day,its just time i suppose.They do have little forgetting moments.

It must be so frustrating. Yes I would take the bowl of water away after 9pm too. Also walk them in the evening to tire them out so they sleep. Are they crated? I don't think they would wee in their crates as they dont usually mess their beds. What time do they go out in the morning? It might be that they can't hang on the length of time and you may need to let them out earlier

thanx guys.

They are walked almost every night & are let out just before 7 every night. They're not crated as I only have 1 crate but if this continues I may buy another & try that! Will take the water away tonight & see if that helps.

I have this problem with Madison who is 5. She was peeing almost every night. It took me a while to figure out who it was. At first I thought it was Riley because she has neurological deficits (now diagnosed as SM). Once I realized it was not Riley, I put Maddie in a crate at night and she still peed. We tried Proin - several different dosages, and even tried estrogen. She also went to an internist who did an ultrasound to make sure there was no anatomical reason for it, which there wasn't. As far as I know she also doesn't pee during the day. I have smelled all the beds, couches and chairs where they sleep, and don't see or smell any evidence of it on any rugs. So like your situation, it just seems to be at night. The internist even suggested that maybe she had separation anxiety so I put her crate right next to me bed, but she stil peed. I have since become resigned to it and put her in diapers at night. She now waits for me to put them on before she goes to bed. They all go out around 11:00 p.m. for the last pee at night, and I always make sure that Madison pees then. They are out between 6:30 and 7:00 every morning and water is taken up by 7:00 every night.

So unfortunately I don't have any magic solutions for you. I wish Maddie didn't have to wear diapers, but at least she doesn't seem to mind and I am not constantly washing bedding out any more. Good luck.

Oh I can just imagine her wanding around with a nappy on!!!

I should have said - it's not the bed or bedding that gets pee'd on - it's my tiled floor (im glad I dont have a carpet!!!).

I think it is Cassie, just by the way she is - she can be lazy & if I dont watch her wee outside she will stand there for a few mins & then head back in as if she's been!!! for the last outing at night I also have to send her out again after her wee to do her poo or she will do that in the kitchen too!

Another thing Cass did the other day was when I gave them raw chicken drumstick each for their dinner, they both had their towels on the floor & Cass ate hers fairly quick (I think she wanted Sparkys too!) & eventually Sparky finished his & she went over to his towel & pee'd on it! So im wondering if this is behavioural?

Charlie used to do this and still does sometimes if we dont get up. He is left out about 10.30 to do his business and my hubby gets up around half 6 or before to let them (we have two) out. He recently had two bladder infections and has had an ultra sound which showed his bladder was 1/3rd of the size it should be but that it will expand over time, he was on anti biotics for 3 weeks. Even if we leave him till 7.30 in the morning he will do his business on the paper we left down. We might get a doggie door so he can go out and do it himself.

We had sam first and we got charlie about two months later, when charlie came home we had two beds out for them and charlie got in the big one so sam went into the small one and pee'd in it!! God it sounds funny now but at the time I was not impressed. We feed our two separate because charlie is very protective of food and he will bully sam into not eating his food so he can get it.

Peeing at night when I let mine out in the yard can be challenge. Last week I darted out to the garage to have a look down the sidewalk after I let them out and there they were together-timing themselves,I guess,-not doing their task and pretty soon they hurdled for the house :mad:. We all went back to the yard and I stood and watched until everyone took care of business. Think they're too smart for their own good :lol:.

Shippers makes a good point. Rudy is crated at about 11 pm and hasn't soiled in the crate in months (knock on wood!!):sl*p:. He will often head to the door of the crate himself and wait for someone to 'put him to bed'. So getting him to go outside at that point is an effort. He runs out, pretends he has done something and then comes right back to the door wanting in....as if! I try not to limit the water intake (as I know they don't get enough on average anyway, but once he's crated, there's no more water til morning.

I have taken to going WITH him outside on that last trip before bed - which has helped remind him what we are out there for! So far, so good, no accidents in the crate at night.

I would think it very unlikely it is both dogs, and would guess it is your senior. I know several elderly dogs that are only leaky at night, including a neighbour's old collie girl. I'd suggest separating them somehow to determine who it is over a couple of nights. Just crate one. If your senior -- which I would guess to be the case -- then I'd try medication or some kind of dog nappies at night.

Weeing at night otherwise might be due to a dog coming from a situation in which the breeder caged/crated the litter, puppy farm situations, etc -- in other words any situation in which the bitch could not physically keep the whelping area clean or herself was from puppyfarm/BYB stock and never very clean or housetrained herself, as she then won't give her puppies any foundation for keeping certain areas clean. Sadly cavaliers are one of thebreeds most commonly mass-farmed in the UK and Ireland and the US. If puppies grow up in their urine and feces they have no concept of NOT going in the area in which they live. This can be almost impossible ever to eradicate even if the dog will go outside during the day. Keep in mind that many people who appear to be family breeders are actually fronts for mass breeding or breed pretty neglectfully and simply bring the pups/mother inside when visited by buyers to make it appear as if the bitch is the family dog. A very, very common selling tactic. :(

I'd also maybe get a second opinion on UTIs. They can be missed during testing. Also there are other potential causes and if the dogs haven;t been ultrasounded etc these could be missed.

My JRT who passed last year @ 14 YO started weeing her bed at around 12 YO. Like old people, they lose their ability to hold it for long hours and half the time don't even realize they've done it. To test this theory, I would put both dogs in their own crate and see who's having the accidents. I would put my money on your JRT.

Well we had a dry night last night!!!!:w**h**:

I was on dogster yesterday & put the same question there too, someone answered me saying their dog does the same - ageing an older Jack Russell & the vet told them she had developed a kind of seperation anxiety & suggested calming treatments.

This kinda rang a bell as Cass I wouldnt say has seperation anxiety but she is allways overly excited to see me in a morning (moreso than when I come home from work) so I had a bottle of valarian compound (I use for fireworks) so I gave her a few drops of that before I went to bed last night & she was a little calmer this morning so gonna keep doing that & see if it does work or not. Obviously last night could have just been a fluke!!

Another thing someone recomended was a homeopathic remedy called 'leaks away' which I have ordered in case this dosnt work for her. I know I am still guessing it is Cass but I really dont want to crate her/them at night but will if I cant solve this.

Cass wasnt from a puppy farm or anything like that - my friend bred her & Ive had her since she was 12 weeks.

:updte:

So far so good with the valarian - since Cass has been having that Ive had 4 dry nights:jmp: - fingers crossed this stays this way!!!:D:D

That's great news. I have heard of quite a few people having success using valerian. :)

Well I thought I'd try it seeing as I had some in the cupboard already. & more good news - 5 Dry Nights!!!

Its also had another benefit on Cass, She can be a bit 'iffy' with other dogs but this morning we accidentally bumped into a dog & she was fine, then we met 3 more & I left her off the lad as she'd already been fine & she was very good, just had a good sniff & let them sniff her - I'll turn her into a Cavalier yet!!!

GREAT NEWS! Hope your pup keeps it up. Anna goes back and forth somedays, and toda wasn't the best of days. :cffee: Keep us updated.

:sl*p: We had a wee & a poo last night - wasnt impressed this morning but not gonna take it as a set back just gonna keep going with the valarian tonight as usual & hope it was just an accident last night.

:bang:
2nd night with both a wee & poo!

I think part of this is becuse they had bones during the day & occasionaly they mess overnihgt when they've had those for some reason.

Im gonna keep going with the valarian for another week (& not give the bones) & see how we get on before I try the leaks away - that arrived yesterday!

Back