• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eye problem, please help!

LisaKatie

011.png

Help my little girl! ^

We've had this problem with Winnie before and it went away with some basic eye drops. When I read up on the problem in the first place I guess she has dry eye. Both eyes look kind of odd now, her eye looks like she's squinting and you can see the red and white a bit too much. I get all freaked out and then 5 minutes later after I put some blink in her eye her eye's look completely normal. Good news is she was able to go on a 2mi walk when her eye looked kind of funny and she enjoyed it without any signs of pain. Now she seems a bit uncomfortable though. Can anyone help? I'm very nervous, I don't know what I would do if something happened to my little girl.

Thanks,

-Katie

She should be seen by a vet. Eye problems can be extremely serious, which I learned here on CavTalk.

Yes, we will as soon as possible. She just took a nap and her eye looks a lot better! Hopefully her eye stays that way.. this is how she looks right now:

winnieye.png

Last edited:
They look fine now to me, id get her checked out though, its the sort of thing that might come and go and your dont know whats happening. di

Please see a vet asap,if it is dry eye they need treatment. Ruby has it& our vet did everything he could inc eyelash removal for ages until we now see an eye consultant every 6 weeks with huge improvement:) im obviously no vet but it sounds similar to how ruby was sometimes squinting,better after a sleep or could be worse after a sleep they was no pattern. until you can see vet can you keep them moistened? i use viscotears thro the day,(also prescribed drops a.m & p.m) viscotears can be bought at any chemist& i always use it straight after a walk incase a bit of grit has got in & she cant wash it out herself having little tear production,if left the grit would damage her eye. i keep some in a pocket too for on walks-good luck:)

I would get to a vet tomorrow. If she has problems, this is a painful condition and permanent eye damage can happen very quickly if not addressed. Squinting generally means there's discomfort. Has the vet tested for moisture level etc? Have they retested to see if the drops are adequate?

There's a lot of info on dry eye at www.cavalierhealth.com

I'd get her to the vets also so it can be looked at asap.

You may know this already, but you should also be cautious about what drops you put in their eyes if they are not prescription. Lucky's had conjunctivitis and also an eye ulcer. Last time was the ulcer. They had to do a dye test to check for the ulcer because the drops for the infection could have actually made the ulcer worse (or something like that ...). Bottom line is drops are not one-size-fits-all, so definitely have your vet take a look and they may do a variety of tests depending what symptoms she's having.

I agree with the above. Ilsa has dry eye and it is easy to test for and easy to treat, but until you know what is wrong it is quite worrying to see their eyes just turn bright red. I used to wash them with saline before I knew about dry eye and it did help for a bit, so you could try that until you see your vet.

Jen and Ilsa

Thanks everyone! I've been really worried about her. I've stopped with the drops, (which was a lubricant drop) since she hasn't had any problems since. I will ask the vet about it as well. I haven't heard about this before but it's called Entropion. Has anyone has this in their cav?

I'm pretty sure that's what is what it is. Luckily her eye has gotten A LOT better and the weird eyelid thing has not happened today. We have an appt. tomorrow with an ophthalmologist and most likely she will need to have a simple surgery to correct the problem. As of right now she isn't squinting or irritated she actually just ripped up a pair of my new flip flops and headphones, so I'd say she is doing better, although I know recovery will be difficult but we have to have this taken care of ASAP!

Last edited:
Back