• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bran Flakes

Sue.k

does anyone give their furbabies bran flakes? Lucy was at the vets today and her glands were very full, the vet said to give her bran so I got a box of bran flakes which he said to get. I dont want to give them to her dry so I am going to soak them in water first, is this ok?????

I sometimes give my dogs spoon size Shredded Wheat 'n Bran. I put a couple of them in with their food. Unfortunately, I don't think it has made a difference in whether their glands were full or not. Oliver in particular scoots all the time - even right after he's had his glands emptied. Maybe he just likes the feeling.

Hi,
We have problems with Leo's glands. I crumble up a handful of Branflakes and sprinkle it on his breakfast. It doesnt seem to bother him that they're dry.

Mel

I used to give mine plain bran from the health food shop, sprinkled over their breakfast. Now I make them rusks, containing bran, wholemeal flour, oatmeal and a few other good things and they get one each at bedtime. (I also sell them to all my friends, which pays for Oliver's obedience show entries!)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi

Like a lot of other members I get Wheat Bran from Holland and Barrett and give them a teaspoon each over their food and also one bite sized shredded wheat each meal as well.:)

I find Shredded Wheat does the trick - my lot love them and their glands have improved. They still need to have them done but nothing on the amount we used to need them done. Plus, it's only wheat with no random other stuff in them so it tends to agree with most dogs. (y)

Thank you all for your replys, I gave them the all bran last night dry, and they loved it!!! I also have shredded wheat, I havent tried them on that yet. Lucy also needs to lose weight so I have to cut back her food so I am sure the bran flakes will make up for the little less food.
Has anyone heard that pineapple is good too? My O/H heard it from someone that it really helps with the glands also??????

Havn't read all the replies but just wanted to add to check for salt and sugar content in packet cereals before giving to a dog (y)

Mine are given bran every morning, along with flaked barley. I feed it dry, but add it to their Honsest Kitchen dehydrated raw mixed with oils, goat's milk yogurt, pumkpin, and a few other things. Mine do not have their glands emptied. I think the pumkpin might help with that too...

Back