Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Our lil one might be ill and we don't even have him yet :(

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Our lil one might be ill and we don't even have him yet :(

    Firstly, I'd like to say hello I am new here and love it so far.

    After weeks of research we finally decided on a breeder that had puppies 4-5 weeks old. We drove out (around 2 hours away) and saw the litter. Out of the four, only 2 were available. We'd seen pictures and had already decided on one, but it turned out the other really took to us. He was all over me and curled up in my lap for a nap like he'd been with me forever. I guess he chose us and not the other way around!

    We recieved updates/pictures and video's during the next few weeks and all was well. At 8 weeks we got a call from the breeder told us that during the vet exam they found a heart murmur. There were three vets available and all three checked him and said the same thing. He is also the smallest of the litter, not sure if this makes it worse? The breeder is also very upset over this situation and offered us a few alternatives. We could wait and pick from the next litter, pick another from other breeder's they know that have a few available or still get our little one at a reduced price.

    We did go look at a few pictures of the other puppies but my heart was on my little one. We've already purchased everything for him, even the play pen is set-up.

    After giving it some thought we decided to take him anyway. I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation and how it turned out. Have we made the right decision?

    Oh and the parents were both present during the time we went to visit. They have all the health checks and are heart clear. The only thing they didn't have was the SM MRI's but I only just found out about that from reading this site a couple of days ago.

    We are scheduled to go pick him up this weekend. Are we in for a heartache?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,745
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Hello Issy,

    I think you know yourself that what you are doing is not wise.

    Your breeder sounds very responsible, and has been very fair in telling you about the problem with the puppy you booked.

    Some young puppies can have a simple flow murmur that disappears during the first year, but if it is something serious like a PDA murmur, then it could mean paying for a very expensive operation.

    What did the breeder say the murmur was due to? Did their vet suggest a cardiologist examination.?
    It is unlikely you will be able to insure this puppy for heart problems, so you need to think very carefully about what you may be taking on.

    You are obviously going to make wonderful owners, and you obviously already feel very committed to this puppy that chose you.

    People that do take on frail dogs often feel that they have gained something special, because of the caring relationship, but you will lose out on some of the joy of owning a pet if you need to continuously worry about his health.

    Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

    Margaret C

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dublin,Ireland
    Posts
    3,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would worry about whether you will get to enjoy this little guy or suffer a lot of heartache and maybe have to see him suffer,not to mention the fact the you will not be able to insure him as his problem exists already and it may cost you a lot of money to look after him.


    It's a heart breaking descision and I don't envy you it at all. I hope it all works out for you..maybe as margaret suggested you could find out more about this murmur and what exactly was found. Your breeder sounds very responsible.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Virginia USA
    Posts
    516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What a difficult decision you must make and how hard it must be to feel you would be abandoning the little puppy who "chose" you. But you need to remember that he has a home with the breeder and that may be the best place for him to stay. There are lots of things to consider and, in my opinion, you need some additional information, and maybe to wait a week or so, before making your final choice. First, you really need more medical information and to perhaps talk yourself to the Vet and request that the puppy be seen by a Vet cardiologist if he has not yet. You need to know the type of heart murmur, the prognosis, the best and worst case scenarios, the potential costs. Second, you need to decide whether you can afford this puppy with the potential costs, and if you cannot, would it be fair to take him? Third, you need to decide emotionally whether this is a good match for you and your family (if you have one). Some folks do well with special needs puppies (or children for that matter ) and some do not. If you are the kind who will worry, worry, worry, or if you have children who may have a hard time understanding the puppy's limitations, then this is not the puppy for you. If you need time, ask the breeder to let you put off the decision for a couple weeks, get some additional information, and then make the decision which is right for both you and the puppy.

    Best of luck to you.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I thank you all for the advice. All of you were right, I guess I have a lot to learn. Making an emotional decision is the worse I've done.

    We got news that our puppy died. It has been a sad day.
    Issy

    Kingston 12/3/09
    (Blenhiem)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nothing is sadder than losing a pup, and it is even worse that yours went even before you had a chance to really bond.

    That said, it might have been for the best. For a pup to have a major issue and to be considerablely smaller (I believe that is what you said) generally means something is wrong physically. I'm suprised the little guy held on for so long. He is however in a better place and he will always keep a special place in his heart for that short time that you were able to bond.

    Your breeder sounds extremely responsible and hopefully will help you out in some way. Talk to her because they are a wealth of information.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dublin,Ireland
    Posts
    3,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Issy......I am so sorry
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i'm sorry. hugs for you and family
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Virginia USA
    Posts
    516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am so sorry to hear that the puppy died. How terribly sad for everyone. Take some time to decide what you want to do but I hope you will soon be adding a Cavalier to your family. They can bring you such joy and comfort.

    Continue to do your homework, make certain you are indeed happy with the breeder, or look for a new breeder, and be patient. You can never eliminate all risk but you can minimize risk by being careful and thoughtful and if you decide to knowingly undertake risk do it with a good understanding of what it may mean down the road. And while you are looking continue to visit with those on Cavalier Talk -- you will both learn and be entertained!
    Last edited by ppotterfield; 29th May 2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So sorry to hear that Issy, poor little thing, did the breeder tell you why?

    I wish you & your family all the best & hope that the right Cav comes along soon for you xxxx
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •