• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need some advice

bumblesmommy

Good Afternoon -

I am new to the board and have a few question in regards to my almost 5 year old Cavalier. Bumble(my dog) got sick a few weeks back with a stomach virus so we took him to the vet, it was a process and we never did figure out what was wrong, but he is better. During all of the testing of which there was a lot we discovered that he has a -in our vets words- "severly enlarged heart" he does not have a murmur. The vet told me that this could reduce his life span to only another 1-3 years. We are devastated to say the least. We have an appointment for him next week with the Cardiologist that our vet referred us too, but we are reeling with this news. Can anyone offer me any adivce or words of encouragment? Has anyone had a cavalier with an enlarged heart and no murmur who lived a long time? Thank you in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Bumble's Mommy

If I were in your shoes I would absolutely try to stop worrying, if at all possible, unless little Bumble is coughing or having respiratory problems (then he should be seen by a cardiologist sooner). The cardiologist will be able to tell you so much more about his heart than a regular vet can. And the heart meds make a huge difference when needed.

One of our members was told her cavalier had an enlarged heart, and then it turned out his heart was perfectly normal for a cavalier.

One of my cavaliers has a grade 4 of 6 heart murmur (MVD) but he is still enjoying life. :)

If I were in your shoes I would absolutely try to stop worrying, if at all possible, unless little Bumble is coughing or having respiratory problems (then he should be seen by a cardiologist sooner). The cardiologist will be able to tell you so much more about his heart than a regular vet can. And the heart meds make a huge difference when needed.

One of our members was told her cavalier had an enlarged heart, and then it turned out his heart was perfectly normal for a cavalier.

One of my cavaliers has a grade 4 of 6 heart murmur (MVD) but he is still enjoying life. :)

I have been told that spaniels have larger hearts for their size than other breeds.
So a diagnosis of enlarged heart without a murmur could turn out to be a false alarm.

I hope the cardiologist will be able to set your mind at rest.
Please let us know what he/she says.

Margaret C

Originally Posted by Margaret C
I have been told that spaniels have larger hearts for their size than other breeds.

Oh, Margaret, don't we spaniel owners know this already? :luv:

When you read this forum you know that many of the owners are as big hearted as their dogs.

Marrgaret C

Margaret, you are absolutely right. I've already made some wonderful friends on here that I get to see in person, and I've made many others that are only distant geographically. Perhaps it is the large, loving heart of our cavaliers that bring out the best in their owners...perhaps it is the type of people that cav owners are that draw them to these loving dogs. Whichever it is isn't really important.

We have an appointment for him next week with the Cardiologist that our vet referred us too, but we are reeling with this news. Can anyone offer me any adivce or words of encouragment? Has anyone had a cavalier with an enlarged heart and no murmur who lived a long time? Thank you in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Bumble's Mommy
Hi, both you and Bumbles have been on my mind this week. :flwr: Have you seen the cardiologist yet?

Back