• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Enlarged heart experiences?

terei

My 9 yr old boy has MVD with two valves involved. At this time, his congestive heart failure is well controlled with medication, but his heart
has enlarged to about double normal size. It is so large that it seems that it is putting pressure on the bronchial tubes and he is increasingly retching and making somewhat of a honking noise to open his trachia(I think) He started doing this a couple times a day about two months ago but now it happens 20-30 times a day. Has anyone else had experience with this? Is there any treatment? He is seeing his cardiologist on Monday. thanks for any input. Tere I. and Karma

I'm so sorry this is happening to him and you. I haven't had experience with this yet. Please let us know how your appointment goes. Will be thinking of you. :flwr::flwr::flwr:

You ask: Is there any treatment? It depends upon his current medication. Pimobendan reportedly will, in some cases, reduce the size of the enlarged heart. A heart that enlarged is an indication he is approaching congestive heart failure, if he is not already there. Heart enlargement usually is part of the progression of this disease.

Most veterinary cardiologists are the best bet for care and prescribing medication for this condition, so you are very wise to be seeing one on Monday.

Back