Thread: Poppy Licks Her Foreleg -Why

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Poppy Licks Her Foreleg -Why

Hi

A question pls thats puzzles me ,after tea which Poppy always finishes
    first she lies down and promptly starts licking along the top of her front leg ,I have inspected all around the area and shes fine ,theres no redness at all and all her claws are fine so I am puzzled as to why .
    Anybody any ideas or could it just be a form of habit with no apparent reason.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian, it may just be a hotspot. I once had a maltese who had contact allergies, every time we went to the park (almost daily) she'd come home and rip her front paws apart. Burt's bees hot spot ointment saved both of us. It could even be a food allergy if it happens just after she's eaten.

Jen and Ilsa
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
    Mahatma Gandhi

Post Thanks / Like

Brian - my 14 year old girl Susie always lies down and licks the tops of both forelegs repeatedly after she finishes breakfast and dinner. I've discussed this with my holistic vet, and the conclusion is that this is just grooming behavior that is somewhat obsessive/compulsive and has become a habit. She does not have allergies or any kind of skin irritation. It's annoying but harmless. After ten minutes or so, I'll usually correct her by tapping her on the nose and telling her "no lick."

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA