• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Mattress -What

Brian M

Hi

The question is in warmer weather (apart from your bed ) whats the best thing for our Cavaliers to snuggle up on to sleep .
Most nights though not all ( Daisy's thunderous snoring ) my three all sleep in their own crates side by side downstairs ,on the bottom of their crate they have vet mat then on top of that a feather pillow and then on top they each have a the sheepskin rug from Skyskyns ,which i think in the warmer weather will be too warm for them.
So whats the best thing to keep them reasonably warm/cool to sleep on.:confused:

Mine lhave several beds. At night they sleep with me, but during the day they rotate from the plain cold floor to their beds. Bandit seems to like the memory foam tempor-pedic dog bed. (It is very comfortable, but they don't sink far into it, so I think they stay cooler). Lizzie seems to prefer the couch or the soft couch-like bed.

At night my three sleep in our bedroom. Rosie always sleeps on the wooden floor. Ebony loves our bed and normally you wouldn’t get her out of it. But since it has been so warm all three have been sleeping on the floor. During the day they sleep on our leather sofa, rug or wooden floor. They hardly use their expensive doggie beds.

Rudy has an inexpensive little dog bed he dearly loves, but since it's gotten warm, it's the hardwood or tile floors!

Regardless of the weather, my 3 are only happy when they're on the flat of their backs, four paws in the air and snoring in harmony - in OUR bed (thank God its a Super King!) :lol:

Mine seem to love the leather sofa so during the day we humans get the comfy floor!:) and at night they just stay where they have spent most of the day anyways x

I use the same beds all year round - they move if they are too hot! Our leather couches are very popular at the moment, when one spot gets too warm they move to another, cooler spot. Our stone tiles are also a current favourite - they lie with their bellies flat on the floor to cool off.

Brian M - those beds sound very comfy, would nearly sleep on one myself!

pillow instead?

my 13 wk pup chewed up his new crate bed yesterday...i think it was too small for him
so i snatched it away as punishment..but last night i woke up him up and treated him with a soft comfy pillow in his crate which he loves..i hope he doesn't chew this up too

is a soft pillow bad for their joints because its uneven when they sink into it?
i have the A/C on all day so it shouldn't get too hot.
wish i could include the photo

Hi

In the winter my three have vet bed on the crate floor then a sheepskin on top and on top again an anti allergy pillow which they all seem fine on ,and in the summer we just take the sheepkins out and leave the vet mat and pillows in .But during the day on the rare occasion we get warm weather the favourite spots seem to be wooden floors ,stone floors or bathroom tiled floors apart from Rosie who prefers the wooden floor under the bed .:)

I crated Dylan for the first year or so but I'll stick my neck out here and say I think a crate can get too hot especially for SM dogs in the summer. They need to find a cool spot like the floor. Depends how large the crate is I suppose but finding a cool spot on a pillow within a crate might pose a problem. Dylan now sleeps in my room but still spends some time at the end of my bed, some by the window and some time by the wardrobes. He definitely needs to find a fresh spot all through the night.

my girls sleep on a gel pad which is reasonably cool in hot weather.
in the winter i put sheep skins on top of the gel pad, and place their day bed in front of the woodstove.

in their crate in the car they lie on a 7 cm thick latex mattres which absorbs the worst shocks and jolts from the car. during the summer the mattress is covered with a thick silk sheet (originally bought for myself....) to help regulate the temperature.
in the winter sheep skins go on top of the mattress.

during the nights they sleep in my bed.........:)

Mine choose to sleep in the same crate even though they have one each. Its lined with vet bed and have a fleece blanket. After reading what is in every one else's crate's i going to buy them something extra for winter now.

Michelle

Back