Thread: Tummy probs? Higher pancreatitis risk in cavaliers

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Tummy probs? Higher pancreatitis risk in cavaliers

Carol Fowler got some interesting information from one of the researchers into canine pancreatitis for her website on cavalier health, www.cavaliercampaign.com. The researcher says that cavaliers are presenting at a higher rate than many other breeds generally with pancreatitis and there's concern that this is being misdiagnosed and therefore remains untreated. Dogs with chronic diarrhea and/or vomiting or tummy pain may have this problem. If left untreated and if diet isn't adjusted this can get worse and a severe crash of pancreatitis can even be fatal so if you have a cavalier with these signs it may be worthwhile having the possibility of pancreatitis thoroughly investigated.

Carol will be getting this new info on to her website shortly and I'll post a direct link then.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Carol Fowler got some interesting information from one of the researchers into canine pancreatitis for her website on cavalier health, www.cavaliercampaign.com. The researcher says that cavaliers are presenting at a higher rate than many other breeds generally with pancreatitis and there's concern that this is being misdiagnosed and therefore remains untreated. Dogs with chronic diarrhea and/or vomiting or tummy pain may have this problem. If left untreated and if diet isn't adjusted this can get worse and a severe crash of pancreatitis can even be fatal so if you have a cavalier with these signs it may be worthwhile having the possibility of pancreatitis thoroughly investigated.

Carol will be getting this new info on to her website shortly and I'll post a direct link then.
    This is the reason pancreatic research is one of the four research projects that benefit from the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting - I look forward to learning more. I've not heard this although I've certainly known of quite a few Cavaliers with bouts of pancreatitis.

For those in the US, there is a fairly new blood test from Idexx that is far more definitive in diagnosing pancreatitis than just looking at amylase and lipase on a blood chemistry screen (those blood values were previously the main test used). This is the Spec cPL test

http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/la...ccpl/index.jsp

Ultrasound is also used as a diagnostic test, especially if blood chemistry is ambiguous. I've heard it described that a pancreas "lights up" on ultrasound in the presence of pancreatitis.

Pat
    Last edited by Pat; 4th June 2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

One of my dogs, Gem, had a nasty bout of pancreatitis awhile back. She presented with bloody stool and bloody vomit. She has recovered quite nicely but those first symptoms were really scary for me. Now she is dealing with anal gland problems. She is fed a pre-made raw diet which is low in fat and gets high quality training treats. My other cavaliers are fed exactly the same food as Gem and (so far) have had no problems. It would be interesting to see if there is a genetic factor. (She and Monty are from the same breeder and have the same sire). I hope she never has another bout of either of these problems. I will be watching Carol's site for more info. Thank you for the link. Her story about Bonnie is heart-breaking.
    J.
    Last edited by Jay; 4th June 2009 at 11:24 PM.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sadly we lost our precious Rupert last December to a bout of acute pancreatitis

Cavaliers seem to suffer with both conditions - Pancreatitis whereby the enzymes are greatly raised, and actually destroy the pancreas; and Pancreatic Insuffciency, where not enough enzyme is produced to digest the food.

In the latter, they produce lots of poo, which contains undigested matter. They also lose weight despite eating well, and often start to eat their own poo.

Pancreatic Insuffciency can be easily treated by adding pancreatic enzymes to their food {following diagnosis by a vet} - although they will probably have to remain on these for life.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Information has gone up on Carol's website

http://www.cavaliercampaign.com/othe...m#pancreatitis
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org