• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another horrific story of why electric fences are USELESS

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_blotter_0605.4c9e1535.html

This happened to an elderly CAVALIER :(. An electric 'invisible fence' (actually a shock collar set to work on certain boundaries) not only is considered unacceptable and potentially cruel by every animal welfare organisation I know of in the US and UK and Ireland, they do NOT keep your dogs safe from anyone and anything that wants to come in and take them or harm them. In this case either someone took, attacked and killed this poor old cavalier or animals just came in and took him. :(

A veterinarian called authorities to report the incident after the mutilated animal was brought to her office to determine what might have happened, according to the report. The vet said she believed the dog had been stabbed at least once, and then the fur coat was cut from its body.

The owners said they let the dog, which was nearly deaf, out of their house — in the 700 block of Oak Shores Drive in the Cross Roads area — into the yard along with their three other dogs. The owners have an invisible electric fence that keeps the dogs in the area, they said. Later they discovered that the spaniel, “Bonny,” was missing and began to search for him.

I had a guy ring me about 2 weeks ago,asking if i would be interested in handing out his leaflets to customers about the electric fencing.well you can pretty much guess what i said.I HATE the dam things,half the time the dogs are breaking through it.Can only imagine what that does to the dogs.Mentally and physicaly.

Poor little thing.

I hate those things too. I dont really think they can work that well.

I also dont like the electric fences farmers use. Years ago I was walking my two (would have been Cassie & my last dog Leo) on a public area (cant remember what it's called now - is between Blandford & Salisbury - in england) & there was an area fenced off where there were some sheep - I didnt notice (as there were no signs) that part of the fence was electrified, as Cass was only quite young & I liked to show the dogs differant aimals so that they wouldnt (hopefully) feel the need to chase them if we saw any out. Anyway, I showed Cass the sheep & she was interested but not too much, we then carried on walking & a sheep came right up to the fence, Cass went towards it (not chasing or in any way aggressively) & she caught her foot in part of the fence & she got a shock which frightened the be-jaysus out of her & she was terrified of sheep from then on. Im just thankfull she wasnt hurt - although I am guessing it did hurt at the time as she let out one hell of a scream. (I did take her to the vets just to make sure she hadnt been hurt & the vet told me that the voltage was quite low so shouldnt do any real damage)

Fences are for the protection of our dogs from outsiders as much as for keeping them on our property. That's why underground 'invisible' fences make absolutely no sense to me. This news story illustrates how harmful it is to use these fences. :( Oh that poor little dog! :(

Last edited:
Just to clarify -- as my first post wasn't too clear and I've added to it -- these are not electrified wire fences, but 'invisible' fences -- meaning no actual fence, but the use of shock collars that shock the animal's neck if it tries to cross a defined area. :( It means there's absolutely no physical barrier to prevent anyone or anything from walking in and taking the dog (which would of course get shocked, as it was taken out as well :x ). But the other problems are that dogs routinely will chase something out and then fear crossing back in -- hence the dog runs away (dogs with electric collars turn up at the pounds all the time proving these are NOT reliable for keeping a pet confined anyway). There are well documented permanent behaviour problems resulting from using these -- which is why some of the international pro trainer associations condemn them -- and there are cases of them short circuiting and burning holes in dogs' necks.

I always say -- if anyone thinks these aren't very disturbing to use -- watch the many YouTube videos of people joking around with them and using them on each other and see how literally 'shocking' they are to the people. Because these collars are all designed to be used on dogs that weigh less than people, that means people are getting a fraction of the effect that a dog would feel too. :(

This is just tragic :(

I hate these fences - I know they are used quite a bit in US and Canada, fortunately not over here much yet...

Doesn't it seem like they should have the FBI out looking for the person who did this? It's very upsetting to think this person will most likely be stalking their next victim at some point. :yikes

If a dog charges through one,its certainly not wanting to go back the same way.I detest the dam things.

Just to update, the local SPCA here has uped their reward to $10,000 for any information leading to the people responsible for this horrible crime. Hopefully that will encourage someone to tell what they know and the criminals can be punished.

Back