Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any guys doing agility with their dog?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any guys doing agility with their dog?

I have been so intrigued by Agility, and would like to train Cooper just for fun. As I look at this it appears to be dominated by females. Must I break the sex barrier and be the first guy and dog, or has that already been done? I am a little self conscious, and do not want to look out of place. So, are there any guys doing this
    Chuck, Cooper and Nina
    Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. Do not pity a shelter dog. Adopt one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Chuck, I know a guy who does agility with his cavalier here in Ohio - he runs with a ruby, and his wife runs with a blenheim. As far as I know they aren't members on these forums, though.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I do agility with Dixie and there are quite a few men in our class..... It is so much fun. Do it !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In agility competition, I would say there are nearly as many men as women competing in Northern Ohio! Don't worry - lots of men compete; but not especially with the cavalier breed.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of guys who do agility with their dogs. One dog that Gem competes against is a beautiful cocker spaniel who is run by her "dad". My husband initially started training Gem and I was training our other dog, Monty. When it be became obvious that Monty was not enjoying agility, he stepped down and I took over Gem's training. In Sapphire's foundation class, there is a guy training his French Bulldog. You won't be the only guy there, so GO FOR IT! You will have a blast.
    J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like

When I went to an agility demonstration there were probably about as many guys as gals. In our small class with Mindy there was one other woman and a man. From the little I've done it's great fun. Mindy really enjoyed it and I think Max is going to as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I do agility just for fun with my two, and they are the only Cavaliers at our club who do it, but there are men running some other breeds. I would say go for it. You'll enjoy it, and most dogs enjoy it. All Cavaliers I've seen when I've gone to watch proper competitions have been rather good, maybe a little outclassed by the poodles on occasion, but that adds to the fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a show on Animal Planet last night where Greg Louganis (sp?) -- the Olympic Diver -- was doing agility with his dogs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lucky has done agility. We had a man in a our class, so it's not all women.

Cooper will have a blast
    Lani
    Mom to ruby Cavalier Sparky & red Lhasa Apso Caroline
    RIP my sweet angel dog Lucky

Post Thanks / Like

I am training Chelsea for agility for fun also. Have not started with Vivie yet. So far in my group clasese there have only been women but have seen about 1/3 running with their dogs at matches. Lots of fun good exerecise(my need), at least give it a try with foundation.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)