• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating Grass

meljoy

Hi.....a quick question.

Leo has recently started to eat grass, it's not something he's done before and I was wondering if it's something I should worry about......discourage or simply ignore. :confused:

Thanks Mel

Hi

Nope dont worry all Cavaliers are closely related to sheep and cows so they all chew the cud and eat grass ,and any flowers they can get their teeth on out of my garden.:(

Hi yeah ruby does it but only when her tummy is playing up(i can usually hear it gurgling)& its like a race to get to the grass so it is instinct for them. Jelly seems to eat grass just in play& any leaves she finds. I do worry about it cos who knows whats on the grass!

Jasper occasionally eats grass but it only seems to be a certain type, my mother used to say when she had dogs that it was when they were not feeling very well, like an upset tummy, so it seems to be pretty normal for them.

Thanks everyone.........I feel better now. Brian I know what you mean about flowers in the garden Leo has not only weed up most of my pots but bitten the heads off several petunias too:lol:

Mel

Zoey has recently taken up the sport of eating grass too! She walks along the fence line and grabs the tall ones that the lawn mower has missed. ;) She doesn't have an upset tummy, I just think she likes to munch on it for some strange reason. Jato looks at her like she's crazy.:cool:

Thanks Brian, im not sure what Harley gets upto once im not here ;) and yes its the long grass he likes, the bits missed or that shoot up in between plants or that grow in the hedgerow. di

Both my dogs eat grass, too - and blackberries, plums, raspberries - no fruits are safe in my garden :)

Hi

Nope dont worry all Cavaliers are closely related to sheep and cows so they all chew the cud and eat grass ,and any flowers they can get their teeth on out of my garden.:(

Ha ha - we often call Sparky 'Daisy'! He likes a good graise every day!:jump:

Dogs usually eat a small amout of grass regularly to get some micronutrients that they wouldn't get from a primarily meat based diet (that they would be on "in the wild" - not that most domestic pets would know what to do out there!).

Grass is nearly totally indigestible to dogs, it tends to come out the other end (lovely and stringy :grnyuk: ) or, if they eat enough, it comes back up. Dogs tend to eat it when they have a pain in their belly, causing themselves to vomit or as a way of moving things along and out the other end.

My lot are like cows at the moment - all the new grass in the Summer seems to be delicious (I'll trust their judgement on that! ;) )

Tanner and Whiskey both eat grass - the long bits too. And it just seems to be because they enjoy it so much. I have given up with plants in the garden as they all get nibbled at. And the digging in the grass too - I sometimes wonder what is really under the grass....

i have to tell a story about Madison and eating grass. All of my four love to eat the long, tall grass. Madison was chowing down one day last summer and later that evening she started snorting - similar to the reverse sneeze but a little different. It almost sounded like she was trying to bring something up. She settled down that evening and the next morning seemd fine. Still some snorts, but not much. Later that day she started sneezing almost uncontrollably and after a few minutes of that, started sneezing blood. We hopped right in the car to the vets. By the time we got there (only about a 10 minute ride) and into the examining room, the vet peered in her nose and pulled out a six inch long piece of grass! She immediately stopped sneezing and seemed perfectly normal. She got a dose of antibiotics just to be safe, but was fine. It did not cure her of grass eating though. She was just outside now with Oz giving my grass a good cutting.

Oh yes! Bella has started eating grass in the last few weeks. Then she comes in and throws it right up! UGH! I hate it. But it seems everytime she goes outside, she goes right to the patch of grass that is the highest because the mower can't reach it! :bang:

My yorkie and cavalier will just lay down in the grass and chew. Well now that I'm in Texas you have to watch out for the ants.... nobody wants whining (sp) dogs on your vacation!

Veternarions (wow I can't spell this morning!) believe dogs will chew grass because they are not feeling well, hot, or they may be just bored. Other people just think dogs will eat grass because it is there..... :confused:

Hi Margaret

I have long been a reformed character (apart from the odd verbals on some forums ) I neither drink ,smoke ,gamble or chase wild women nor should I be so lucky chased by any ,and I dont even go to any Everton F C matches now .I could say I am an old bore but I wouldnt use that phrase just yet and being totally honest I may have done a few misspent things when I was younger but to my memory drugs of any description held no interest for me ,though Dawn did comment a few years ago that we should have met when we were both a bit younger as this being our second marriage for both of us,but my reply to Dawn was that a few years ago I was a totally different Brian .
Or I hope as we all say the older we get we hope the more wiser and calmer person we should become.:confused: Or is that as Cavalier companions we are affected by their calming and wise influence on us all.
Which leads me on to ask why wasnt I born with three arms and hands as when I stroke and cuddle two of them the third with that imploring Cavalier look they all have always makes me feel bad for leaving one out ,so Margaret I have absolutely no idea how you manage with all those beautiful Chins and Cavaliers you have to keep them all happy and content but you must:):(

Back