Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating Grass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

Nope dont worry all Cavaliers are closely related to sheep and cows so they all chew the cud and eat grass ,and any flowers they can get their teeth on out of my garden.

Ha ha - we often call Sparky 'Daisy'! He likes a good graise every day!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs usually eat a small amout of grass regularly to get some micronutrients that they wouldn't get from a primarily meat based diet (that they would be on "in the wild" - not that most domestic pets would know what to do out there!).

Grass is nearly totally indigestible to dogs, it tends to come out the other end (lovely and stringy ) or, if they eat enough, it comes back up. Dogs tend to eat it when they have a pain in their belly, causing themselves to vomit or as a way of moving things along and out the other end.

My lot are like cows at the moment - all the new grass in the Summer seems to be delicious (I'll trust their judgement on that! )

Post Thanks / Like

Tanner and Whiskey both eat grass - the long bits too. And it just seems to be because they enjoy it so much. I have given up with plants in the garden as they all get nibbled at. And the digging in the grass too - I sometimes wonder what is really under the grass....
    Mum to Tanner 18mths Tri male and Whiskey 1 year old Blenheim Male

Post Thanks / Like

i have to tell a story about Madison and eating grass. All of my four love to eat the long, tall grass. Madison was chowing down one day last summer and later that evening she started snorting - similar to the reverse sneeze but a little different. It almost sounded like she was trying to bring something up. She settled down that evening and the next morning seemd fine. Still some snorts, but not much. Later that day she started sneezing almost uncontrollably and after a few minutes of that, started sneezing blood. We hopped right in the car to the vets. By the time we got there (only about a 10 minute ride) and into the examining room, the vet peered in her nose and pulled out a six inch long piece of grass! She immediately stopped sneezing and seemed perfectly normal. She got a dose of antibiotics just to be safe, but was fine. It did not cure her of grass eating though. She was just outside now with Oz giving my grass a good cutting.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes! Bella has started eating grass in the last few weeks. Then she comes in and throws it right up! UGH! I hate it. But it seems everytime she goes outside, she goes right to the patch of grass that is the highest because the mower can't reach it!
    Mom of Bella-Blenheim female born 12-29-07
    Koda, Lilly, Neo, Gizzy,-(dog,cat,birds)
    Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Madison, Brandy, Shayde, Lucas, Abraham.

Post Thanks / Like

Archie likes eating the cut grass.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of mine are "grazers." They especially enjoy it after a rain!
    Joan
    Casey 9 yr. Tri, Alfie 1 yr. Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

My yorkie and cavalier will just lay down in the grass and chew. Well now that I'm in Texas you have to watch out for the ants.... nobody wants whining (sp) dogs on your vacation!

Veternarions (wow I can't spell this morning!) believe dogs will chew grass because they are not feeling well, hot, or they may be just bored. Other people just think dogs will eat grass because it is there.....
    Crazy for my Cavalier!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi Di
    Hope Harley just eats it and doesnt smoke it
    Brian,

You are showing signs of a misspent youth.......
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Margaret

I have long been a reformed character (apart from the odd verbals on some forums ) I neither drink ,smoke ,gamble or chase wild women nor should I be so lucky chased by any ,and I dont even go to any Everton F C matches now .I could say I am an old bore but I wouldnt use that phrase just yet and being totally honest I may have done a few misspent things when I was younger but to my memory drugs of any description held no interest for me ,though Dawn did comment a few years ago that we should have met when we were both a bit younger as this being our second marriage for both of us,but my reply to Dawn was that a few years ago I was a totally different Brian .
    Or I hope as we all say the older we get we hope the more wiser and calmer person we should become. Or is that as Cavalier companions we are affected by their calming and wise influence on us all.
    Which leads me on to ask why wasnt I born with three arms and hands as when I stroke and cuddle two of them the third with that imploring Cavalier look they all have always makes me feel bad for leaving one out ,so Margaret I have absolutely no idea how you manage with all those beautiful Chins and Cavaliers you have to keep them all happy and content but you must
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T