• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Whats the general rule?

tupup

Hi
im wondering what is the general rule regards how long to let a puppy walk? im in no rush& am happy to carry her when walking ruby tho of course jelly cries to get down.All her vaccs are done & she's safe to go out&about so is it
1. 5 mins per month of age?
2.if so is that once a day only?
3.none of the above due to all the playing she does already!
Any advise much appreciated cos i dont want to overdo it for her but neither do i want to hamper her development.i lift her up any steps etc.She's a fearless little thing & seems desperate to investigate the outside world-bless!

I don;t think you need to lift a puppy up steps. She may be afraid to go back down them though til she is older.

There isn't really a rule on walking but most vets will say don't walk puppies that are only 2-4 months longer than little 5-10 minute segments a couple of times a day perhaps. I only went up to 20 minutes at 5-6 months.

The odd step isn't too much of a problem if she can manage them, but please don't let her go up and down flights of stairs until she is at least 6 months as it puts too much strain on the developing joints.

As Karlin says, it's really hard to advise on walking - as so much depends on how much free play she is getting at home, what sort of walking {on lead, free running etc}.

It's usually advised 5 minutes per month of age - some people say twice per day, some once.

Unfortunately it's not an exact science...

The big thing to remember though is that short bursts of exercise are much better than one long period, also that a puppy should NEVER be exhausted to the point that they lie down where they are and go to sleep. I would always advise putting a puppy to bed in their crate as soon as they start to look tired - they slow down a bit, you can see the signs.

They will keep playing though beyond that if you let them :D

but please don't let her go up and down flights of stairs until she is at least 6 months

Yes wouldn;t let them go flying up and down. :)

I think most pups are pretty good at gently doing steps as they grow more able but some are fearless!

Our Abigail at almost 11 months will go up a flight of stairs(once she's wiggled around the gate guarding said stairs). However, she won't come down. One of us has to carry her down:bang:

Heather R

Back