• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really worried about Poppy

Poor Poppy. I'm glad they finally found out what all her troubles were though. Flagyl should help a lot with the diarrhea and inflammation.

I would call your insurance as well, although unfortunately I think they will probably consider it a pre-existing condition, but all policies are different so it wouldn't hurt to ask. (Lucky had chronic diarrhea/colitis as a puppy too and subsequent vet visits for the same thing were excluded because he was taken in during the waiting period for the policy to take effect)

The insurance forms have gone in and bile test results due next week. Called in at the vet again for supplies, Poppy has only eaten about 1 1/2 cans of food in a week. She is really lifeless today and is refusing all food.
The vet has given me some steriods for her to stimulate her appetite, if she continues the way she is i cant see her lasting the week.:(:(:( She doesnt seem in any pain she is just skin and bones and totally lifeless now, its no life for her. She wont be able for any surgery.
Keep breaking down when i have a cuddle with her, maybe its better for her to go to sleep

OMG- I feel so bad for you. Don't give up on her yet! I could strangle your vet, honestly. I can't believe none of this blood & fecal testing was done earlier, I just don't get it!

I hope she pulls through. Big hugs to you.

i just am reading this story now - i agree with Chloe - with such a little one, I don't understand why there was such a relaxed attitude when it came to testing. Big hugs to Poppy and I hope she can pull through this :xfngr:

Good luck :hug:

I'm also just reading this thread now. I am so sorry that you and your little one are going through such a tough time. I do so hope that things improve. :hug:

Poor you & poor little Poppy,im so sorry to hear shes so bad.Try to stay strong,i hope she improves:xfngr::xfngr:
Will say a prayer for you both,take care:hug::hug:

Do you think she is suffering and in pain, if not then i would hold fire, does keep fluids down and how are her motions now, i dont suppose she has much to pass. What does the vet think, has he given her fluid by drip, she may be very dehydrated and rest is probably what is best for her. Let us know how she is doing, fingers crossed. di

I am so sad to read the update on Poppy. I hope she's turned a corner and is feeling better ...

How is Poppy doing now?

I am so sorry you are going through all this. I'd try ice cream, raw hamburger, anything that might stimulate her interest and get a little bit of food into her. I know people who have done all these things to try and maintain weight.

It is very strange that these basic tests were not conducted at an early stage -- this should normally be routine for vets from early on in identifying a problem, not just trying foods (to me it would have made far more sense to do bloods and faecals long before trying different foods -- and the lack of growth would have pointed to perhaps an urgent underlying problem :( ). :sl*p:

My thoughts are with you; hoping Poppy will pull through.

I'm so sorry ot hear about little Poppy, hopefully things work themselves out for her and you. You'll be in my thoughts.

I am so sorry to hear about Poppy. Your story is just breaking my heart. I am hoping that your vet can give her IV fluids in case she is dehydrated. I am not sure where you are located, but maybe you should try another vet, maybe an emergency one. There has to be someone who can help you figure this out. Another opinion may be the best route to get to the bottom of this. Have them fax over all the results. You are in my thoughts and I am hoping you can get to the bottom of this. Keep your chin up!!!

I am so sorry to hear about Poppy, I really hope she is pulling through, my little fella had a similar problem when he was small and finds it very difficult to fight off any parasites that he can pick up.

My thoughts are with you and please keep us updated as to how Poppy is progressing.

:xfngr:

This is so sad for you and Poppy. Do try the most tempting food to bring her spirits back. She sounds ill and depressed. :hug:to you both.

If she's that listless I'd get her back to a vet and demand that they put her on an IV to get fluids and some nutrients into her. And if it's the same vet you've been using, I'd be waving those results at them and wanting to know WHY something wasn't done sooner. It's basic common sense to take great care of a little pup with the runs, and a little pup with the runs and no weight gain is a pretty obvious flag.

Some good news at last, test confirmed that the Liver is functioning fine and a bacterial infection was found in her stools. Dont have all of the details, got a call from the vet last night, so estastic it wasnt the shunt i didnt really follow the rest. She is to go onto an antibiotic to clear the infection and help with the inflamed bowel, plus a course of steriods, as i say not 100% sure till i call in today.
She is refusing the z/d perscription food. A few collegues told me to cook some liver and give it to her and she polished it off quick smart. I mentioned this to the vet who was cautious because of the inflamed bowel and her sensitive stomach. I was just happy to see her eat. She did say to try some chicken. The poor mite she just wants something tasty. In fairness, i did pay for the liver this morning, the poohs in the garden werent pretty:yuk::yuk:
So fingers crossed, she makes a good recovery. I am new to all of this, so i take some repsonsibility in not pushing the vet for test. Lesson learned. I just want my beautiful puppy to grow and have a long happy life:grin::grin:

I am new to all of this, so i take some repsonsibility in not pushing the vet for test. Lesson learned. I just want my beautiful puppy to grow and have a long happy life:grin::grin:

It's clear you like your vet, because you're really being too kind. Vets are the ones with the education and expertise so they should know when tests need to be ordered. My vet offers to run tests for me almost every time I go in for something. They're not pushed on me, but I am offered a range of diagnostic options - some more cautious than others and he explains why the tests should be ordered.

I'm really happy that Poppy's test results seem to offer hope, it's a shame though that this didn't happen a long time ago. I hope now that your vet knows what's wrong you can get the proper treatment so she's back on track to long, healthy & happy puppyhood. :rah:

Hi

So happy theres some light at the end of that long dark tunnel you and poor Poppy have been going through ,so lets now hope the future is a lot brighter for the two of you .

Warmest Wishes

briian:)

Just seen this thread now. Sorry you have been having such a hard time.

I hope poppy continues to improve.

Back