• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really worried about Poppy

Sorry you are having so many problems. As noted, have you spoken to your breeder? This information is important for a breeding programme and a health focused breeder will want to know about these problems. Also a good breeder would often give some financial support in such a case as this.

Unofotunately there are never guarantees with living creatures though -- as with people, some just have poor immune systems or a genetic predisposition to health problems and a commitment to a pet generally means thorugh sickness and in health... Pedigree dogs each have their own sets of genetic problems as well which is why selecting breeders carefully is extra important for buyers. To maximise the chances for a long and healthy life in a dog, it is important to work with health-focused, quality breeders -- which is why I try to promote as much awareness about these issues, and what to look for in a breeder, as I can on this site. Many of us have learned from painful initial experiences how important this is.

Do you have insurance for Poppy? If not it is probably not worth getting at this point but if she does, the majority of these expenses will surely be covered?

Did you try getting a second opinion from a different vets?

Also are your vets aware that cavaliers can seem to have low platelet counts simply because about a third in the breed have large platelets that won't be picked up by automatic counters (and thus they need to be hand counted?).

:xfngr::xfngr:Fingers crossed, nearly afraid to say it Poppy seems to be one the mend. The Camplobacter is gone, Cocidiosis has clearend, eye ulcer mending and she has put on weight, she is now 3.2kg and growing.

We went to UCD on Monday but a waste of a day, they wouldnt perform any tests because she is still on a steriod and had just finished anti biotic. My vet had told them all of this in advance. They seemed to think that everything she had could be explained and hopefully she has recovered. Weaning her off the steriods at the moment and if she lapses to go back to them.

Its like we have a new dog. She is hyper, as my neighbour says she is now acting like a real puppy. UCD said if she continued as she is, she would catch up with weighted & growth...So happy days. Its great to come down in the morning and she is barking for food...never thought i would see the day:):)

That's really great news to hear! :)

They seemed to think that everything she had could be explained and hopefully she has recovered. Weaning her off the steriods at the moment and if she lapses to go back to them.

I would still have serious reservations about the vet treatment and approach from beginning to end. I think UCD is right. They probably took one look at her and simply felt there was no point in taking bloods etc. Taking bloods can be stressful and no point in those extra costs so I wouldn't call it a waste of a day that this wasn't done. (y)

I'd consider a different vet -- I think a second opinion from a different vets would probably have given you the same response as UCD. It does take time for these internal infections to clear up.

I'd also review the whole feeding process and be sure she isn't being unintentionally encouraged to refuse food. The link I gave a while back is really the best way to approach feeding -- don;t switch foods around and don't coax, just put the food down, give a set time to eat it, and remove what is left without fussing and no treats or food til next schedules meal. Do not give her more than 10 minutes to eat. (y)

For such a small and repeatedly ill do I'd also recommend home boarding rather than putting her in a kennel, as the latter are major sources of illness even when kept very clean. She obviously has some immune system problems and needs not to have her system subjected to further stress. TKC on the board does home boarding as does Thelly on the board; TKC is probably closer to you (Ratoath) and is a dog trainer as well (Thelly is in Kiltiernan, and is also on the board). Let either know I recommended them to you if you PM one or the other, and that you are a member of the board.

Was going to add there's a good chance she picked up that range of problems from a kennels in the first place - that is the kind of thing that gets passed all around dogs in kennels in group exposure (she would have had to be exposed from this type of situation to have acquired all these things). Adult dogs often shrug it off, but pups have weak immune systems and are particularly vulnerable. Hence would always advise puppies be home boarded when at all possible and any dog with immune problems/prone to illness. :)

Madison had coccidiosis a couple of years ago when she was two. The diarrhea came and went, but when it was there it was pure liquid with no bulk or form to it at all. She could have a normal stool in the morning and then have the liquidy stool later in the day. Someone told me that the body sloughs off the coccidiosis bacteria at different times of the day and that's why we saw such variation every day. It did take forever for that to clear. Luckily she did not lose any weight and maintained a great appetite. Glad to hear Poppy's gained weight and is starting to like food.

I've been following this thread (actually thought I'd posted on it :lpy: )

I'm delighted to read that Poppy is doing better :w**h**:
:hug:

i have read this thread often but not able to offer any help i just read and hoped, im glad she is improving and hope it continues, di

Thanks guys, she is doing fab, i have weaned her off the steriods. We have had no problem with her feeding since the infections have cleared, i'd say all of the problems with her appetite were down to her being sick.

She was sick before she went into the kennels, actually it was when she got the kennel cough that she went down hill. She eats about 50g twice a day and a bit of chicken if we are having some. I cant believe the change in her, i'd say if she continues as she is she will have caught up in terms of weight by the end of the month.

At least i can go on hols now and not be soo worried. I have no concerns about the kennels

So glad to hear that Poppy is doing so well! Bet you are feeling so relieved!
J.

She has had no tests yet, vet has here on the Hills z/d awful stuff. The pellets are huge, she has been eating James Wellbeloved.
This evening we gave her her bowl with a mix of her james wellbeloved and the z/d and she removed all of the z/d from the bowl and ate the rest.
I know that we all in the house need to relax more about the feeding as i am sure she is picking up on our anxiety.
She seems to really like carrots. The problem is the food is so bland and trying to entice her to eat it. Is there anything you guys add to the dry food to make it more appealing?
Going to persist and let her have some more goats milk and see how she goes. Searched the garden cant find any runny poohs...she has eaten some food today may eat nothing tomorrow:(:(

Stuff to make food more palatable:
Cook liver in a couple of cups of water-- chicken or calfs liver-- pour some of the liver juice (NO LIVER pieces) over the chunks of dry dog food. This helps, especially when the pieces of food are large (softens them).
A bit of yogurt on the food. If you were in the USA, I'd suggest benbac, fastrack. Nutrical/nutristat helps get the pups some nutrition.

Coccidia and giardia are sometimes the culprits when a dogs system is totally out of balance.
Good luck to you, Sandy

Opps, should have read to the end first... glad to hear she is feeling better

Just wanted to say Im sooooo relieved that shes finally turned the corner.Go Poppy Go.

:xfngr::xfngr:She is too! Can you put her on your bathroom scales?i do with my girls every sunday morning,a "sit" & a treat & we're done:)

Absolutely thrilled to hear that Poopy is on the mend. She sure has had a very tough time. Fingers crossed she'll be 100% in no time! :)

Back