Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Really worried about Poppy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Ruby View Post
    She is booked in next week for a scan and to have her bloods done.
    Any reason why the vet didn't do blood tests today? Has she had a fecal done?
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to understand why she hasn't had a fecal test done yet. In my experience that is usually the first thing done when a dog has diarrhea. Maybe the vet has always suspected something else, but this seems to have been going on for quite some time. A fecal is really simple to do - even with a diarrhea sample. Maddie had horrible parasites once with pure liquid and sometimes bloody stool. I was still able to get enough of a sample for them to use even though it was almost like water. Would you feel comfortable asking for your vet to do a test on her stool?
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Good news, Poppy had here first real pooh today
    This is something to celebrate, her first since we got her. She has starting eating the z/d food, so heres hoping.

Talked to the vet today, she is having a full work up when she goes in on Wednesday. She does seem a lot bouncier today

Post Thanks / Like

Poppy did a proper poop! Thats a really good start & im glad she is eating, ive been following your thread, my girl often has an upset tummy but not nearly as bad as Poppy tho she often turns her nose up at her food so i would imagine you feel like doing a little dance! I hope it continues & that she gets stronger,good luck for weds
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

The saga continues. Poppys pooh is now normal but she has eaten 1 bowl of food in the last 48 hours.
    She is in with the vet all day tomorrow, so the scan picks up something. She had been doing really well and ate her food 3 days in a row, and now nothing. She looks soo thin and frail.

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck for tomorrow to you & Poppy, i hope you get some answers
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck....this must be such a worry for you.....sending hu
    and best wishes

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

Wohoo for good poo! (it's the simple things in lif ethat make it worth while!)

Hope all goes well tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Got Poppy back from the vet, not good news

She had bloods, faecals done and an ultrasound. She is anemic and low in protein. She has a small liver and they suspect a porto systemic shunt. Because her liver was soo small they found it difficult to confirm. So they ran bloods while she was fasting and then gave her some fatty food and ran the test again. This will tell whether is is able to absorb/digest the food. We get the results of that next week.
    If that confirms the PSS then she will be referred to UCD for further ultrasound and possible surgery.
    If its not that then they are looking at Inflamatory Bowel. The bowel was inflammed and they expected this due to the amount of diarahea.
    What it did confirm to the vet who was shocked when she saw her is that she is in no condition for spaying or even for a biopsy.
    So for the next week we are sticking with the z/d food as it has gotten rid of the diarahae and she is on Flagy.
    Possible problem now with the insurance. I insured her the day we got here, i brought her to the vet 5 days later because of the diarahae. The vet said that they insurance may look at the history and say that the illness was existing at the time of the insurance date so we wont be covered. It cost 500 for today and it will cost over 2000 if she has to go to UCD. IF the insurance doesnt cover it, not sure what we are going to do

Post Thanks / Like

Im so sorry you're having such a terrible time and now the extra worry of insurance

You never know. Call your insurance and see what they'll cover then at least you can go forward knowing what to expect!

Good luck

Mel