• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leash Training

meray83

Tucker seems to really dislike being on a leash and collar. I’m just trying to see if a harness makes a difference, but he really doesn’t understand and pulls away from me with both the collar and the harness. It’s a lot easier to quickly put on his snap collar when I need to take him out to use the bathroom than it is to put on the harness so I’d really like for him to like his collar. Any helpful hints? Thanks so much!

When I introduced Max to his collar I would treat him each time he let me put it on and take it off him - which I did many times a day. He wanted to chew on my hands when they came near his head so I'd give him a treat (kibble) when I could get close to him without him thinking it's playtime or chew on me time (which is never actually). Once I could get the collar on and off without losing my hands I started clipping the leash on and walking him around the house and the yard. I taught him the watch me command and when he is watching me he isn't pulling away.

I'd recommend that you go to www.dogstardaily.com and download the (free) copy of After You Get Your Puppy, one of Dr Ian Dunbar's excellent training and dog care guides. This will give lots of guidance on how to correctly introduce a young (or older) dog to a lead and many other training and ownership essentials. (y)

A behaviorist recently suggested, to desensitize a dog to the collar and lead, to simply attach a short lead to the collar and let them drag it around the house. Don't do this if you can't keep an eye on him though! You don't want him to get the leash stuck on something.

Once you're outside, take a bag of treats and give him one if he stays next to you and looks toward you. If he starts to pull, say "this way", turn around and start walking in the opposite direction. The more he pulls the more times you have to turn around. If he pulls left, you go right. If he pulls ahead, you turn around.

This is more simple said than done, but if this is your only dog that makes it much easier. The point of doing these things is to teach your dog that he has to keep eyes on you so he knows which direction to go.

Good luck!

Ditto that Karlin! I used this as a guideline when I started walking Rudy and, given that he is only 10 mos old, he's doing great. My neighbors compliment me on how well he walks at my side (I think they are jealous!). I've always walked him on a harness & leash rather than collar/leash. Altho in a pinch I'll admit I've snapped leash to collar for a quick run outside when travelling. He clearly doesn't like it. Sitting prior to crossing streets is a work in progress, altho he knows he's supposed to (and will when 'reminded') he still wants to get across as quickly as possible. I have found Dog Star Daily a great resource!!

I used and still do use a harness 99.9% of the time. once Maile was harnessed trained and didn't pull any longer, if in a hurry I would clip the leash on her collar to take her out to the yard. the first few times she was nervous but within 3 or 4 times she was fine and didn't pull. I still use the harness for everything but now that she is leash trained it matters less to her where she is clip'd up at.

I use a harness most of the time. Neither dog minds it but Max still gets so excited it's hard to get him to stop wiggling while I put it on. I try and give myself lots of time so I can have him sit - and walk away unless he does. Neither dog pulls if I have them on a short leash but unless we are walking in town I let the flex lead out so they can explore.

In class I just use a leash clipped to his collar. When we are training he is very good at paying attention to me and the leash is always loose anyway.

Back