• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rescue came in with fleas, severe hair loss and lesions

That's such good news - especially about the lack of heart murmur. You must be SOoooo relieved.

She'll be feeling better in not time and you will be able to look forward to enjoying your new found chum, who will love you as only Cavvies can, bless her! :lotsaluv:

Thats really great news & now you can enjoy getting to know her, good for you for taking her, im sure she'll pay you back tenfold with love:D

Well, she is just my foster- the plan is NOT to keep her! ;) BUT, I can tell already that she will be a hard one for me to let go...she is a sweet girl. It will be a long-term foster I believe because of her age, but we'll see!

That's good overall news! :) Though I'm not sure whether it is better to be an allergy than mange though as mange is easier to treat I think? An allergy to fleas must be really severe for a dog to lose so much hair; have never seen that before. :eek: With that type of allergy is it contained pretty well simply by keeping the dog Frontlined?

On her heart -- you'd really need a cardio to verify an 8 year old as murmur-clear if you want to be sure -- keep in mind vets will miss half of all early grade murmurs and more than half of all cavaliers would have murmurs by that age. I always take my vet's opinion on murmurs as an indication of no major murmur and a general indication of overall heart health, but not a real indication of whether a dog is heart-clear, or of a specific murmur grade.

Her intake forms said food/ flea allergy, so I'm doubtful it is all fleas but mostly. A single flea bite can make a dog with a severe allergy to them itch for an entire month. So, on a tiny dog like this with 7 fleas on her when she arrived (and assuming the people who had her before could not/ did not think it important enough :x to get rid of the the fleas in her environment) she has been living in severe discomfort for who knows how long. So, yes, the key is trying to prevent her from ever getting bit by any flea, which means keeping her from places that probably have fleas (dog parks, woods, etc) and keeping a topical pesticide on her at all times. Her skin looks better already and I've only had her a few days now.

To add, I would never claim my vet's word on the murmur (or lack of in this case) is gospel, however it was very good news as were fully expecting it to be severe. So inaudible to my vet is big sigh of relief!

:snap:Looking forward to pics (when she's better, of course!) She's in good hands - I know you'll take good care of her. She's a lucky gal to have you.:lotsaluv:

Trisha, I just had a thought. Perhaps you might want to take some photos of her now, and photos as she heals and her hair grows back. Then show her future adoptive owner what happened when she was bitten by fleas and neglected. I would think the photos would help motivate her future owner to take extra good care of her. :flwr:

I have taken lots of pics already. The sad thing is, the vet said this has been going on so long that on one area of her back, it is as smooth as a baby's bum, he's not sure there are any salvagable hair follicles and hair may not ever grow back there. Only time will tell.

Here she is...as you can see she's not comfortable here at all. (Don't mind the blue sofa cover).

3622992859_e53c37cd1f.jpg

Here is her cute little old-lady face...

3622992743_6f30135f5b.jpg

A single flea bite can make a dog with a severe allergy to them itch for an entire month

This the case with Jake. He'll scratch and bite like crazy and I can't find a single flea on them. Then I'll find one on Shelby and know he has "one" on him. It's enough to set him off and make him absolutely miserable.

Could you convince her to let her guard down a little and just relax :-D What a sweet little face.

What a sweet face! Glad that she didn't have mange. She sure looks like a very relaxed little lady. Hopefully she will find her special home really soon, but until then she sure looks very much at home.
J.

Oh, she's a sweet little one.

:xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw: All of our fingers and paws are crossed for her in hopes that her hair grows back. I'm so glad it's summer. I wonder if she was like that all winter - how would she stay warm!

Awww what a sweet face! Poor little thing with all that pink skin -- will be great to see her sorted and hair coming back in.

Trisha, she is lovely and looks so shy, i hope she will start a brand new life soon thanks to your help :)

Back